Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buy salt testing options with TF-100 order?

1. Back To Top    #1

Buy salt testing options with TF-100 order?

Good morning, pool people!

Iím about to order my TF-100 test kit, and I see some optional items listed for salt testing. Do you recommend getting the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test and/or Aqua Chek Salt Test Strip options? Or will the basic test kit itself be sufficient?
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buy salt testing options with TF-100 order?

Looks like you'll need/WANT the Taylor K-1766 test for salt.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, get the Taylor salt test. SpeedStir too if you can swing it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! TF-100, K-1766, and SpeedStir it shall be.
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm glad I got the K-1766. Easy test with obvious endpoint, and you can make the kit last a long time because the test is infrequent.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you just use the sensor on your SWCG? My Jandy Aquapure 1400 gives a salinity reading on the LCD screen.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

8. Back To Top    #8

Buy salt testing options with TF-100 order?

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    Can you just use the sensor on your SWCG? My Jandy Aquapure 1400 gives a salinity reading on the LCD screen.
    They are not terribly accurate and the Pentair line (IntelliChlor) have very poor temperature compensation. The Hayward line uses multiple cell parameters (current, voltage and temperature) to infer salinity levels and is probably the most accurate of all. However they are all about +/-400ppm. The K-1766 test is +/-200ppm for the standard test protocol (10mL water sample) but can be more accurate if needed by simply using a larger sample size (+/-80ppm for a 25mL sample).

Finally, the K-1766 is a true chemical measure of chloride content while all other methods are proxy measurements and suffer from interferences.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Finally, the K-1766 is a true chemical measure of chloride content while all other methods are proxy measurements and suffer from interferences.
    What do they do? Infer the saline content from the conductivity/resistivity of the water?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    What do they do? Infer the saline content from the conductivity/resistivity of the water?
    Yes. SWG's act like electronic TDS probes, they measure conductivity. But conductivity can be affected by any ion in solution, not just Cl- . Strips rely on capillarity to determine salinity and, once again, that is subject to interference. Hydrometers use differences in specific density of saline water but it is highly temperature dependent.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates