Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water deep copper green

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Pool water deep copper green

Hi, A few weeks ago while I was away I asked a friend to add a few chlorine tablets every 3 or 4 days. He discovered a small amount of algae in the pool so decided to add far too much copper sulfate. As a result the pool is now a deep copper green color. I added a litre of copper out with no result. After contacting a pool chemical distributor, I was advised to add a sachet of super floc plus and if it did not clear to add another. Again no result except that the pool looks as if I have added a bottle of washing up liquid. The chlorine reading is 0.3 and ph 7.2. I am at a total loss as to how to get rid of the copper. Short of emptying the pool is there any way to get rid of the copper. I live in Spain where the product range is more limited than in N. America. Also my property is powered by solar which means I cannot run the pump for more than 5 or 6 hours per day.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool water deep copper green

Also my property is powered by solar which means I cannot run the pump for more than 5 or 6 hours per day.
    Wow! That would seem like a huge stumbling block to me. Just about any advice you will get here involves running your pump 24/7.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A series of partial drains and refills seem to be in order in your case.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Replacing the water is going to be your best option. Then tell your friends no more copper in the pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!