We Need fence advice for keeping trespassers out for our gardon

Aug 13, 2016
Modesto
Somebody have been climbing our fence at night to swim. We would like to replace current fence (5.5 feet tall) with a new one, which is at least 6.5 feet tall (maybe as tall as 8 ft).

Besides a taller fence,

Anybody could give us some useful suggest , what type / style of fence is the most difficult to climb?

We need it p
rivacy and cost are less.

Thanks for your help in advance - Kenny Wood

Many parts of the world glue glass shards to the top of their walls and fences to keep trespassers from entering. If that's too extreme they sell a gel to prevent pests from intruding. The gel is like a sticky silicone that doesn't cure which is very nasty and hard to remove. The maintenance men at one of my apartment complexes applied it to top of chain link fencing and I accidentally got some on my arms while installing a pool rules sign. I'm sure after being covered in that substance they'll think twice before trespassing again. If that doesnt work try motion sensing lights, cameras, or electric fence. I beleive you can be held liable for death or injury in your pool even you didn't invite them in, so be careful!

You can usually find a way over just about any fence type even tall ones. It's a simple as rolling a typical trash can up to a 8' fence and climbing right over.

Get a camera with a motion alert feature to catch them in the act, call the cops, get this joker arrested...it's the only solution. Even if it is kids.

A motion sensor light and/or a pool alarm Amazon.com : Poolguard PGRM-2 In-Ground Pool Alarm : Swimming Pool Alarms : Patio, Lawn Garden could help.

You could install bird spikes at the top of your fence also: Amazon.com : Bird-X Stainless Steel Bird Spikes Kit, Covers 10 feet : Bird Repellents : Patio, Lawn Garden Not to hurt anyone but to discourage climbing in the first place. But i'd be cautious, anyone even trespassers getting hurt on your property puts you in a iffy legal situation.

I'll second the motion sensor camera & lights. Make it clear you are watching the property. A nice & loud pool alarm is a good deterrent also.

Report this trespassing to the local police, they may step up patrols for a few days as well.

Dom

If you actually live in Modesto or in a urban part of Stanislaus County a fence greater than 6 feet almost certainly requires a building permit.

I agree with the posters above a fence will not stop folks who want to swim in your pool. Get Cameras and post a Notice that the area is under surveillance.

IMHO . . . If you're in the U.S. I wouldn't even think about the glass on top of your fence. That's just a lawsuit waiting to happen and one that a homeowner almost always loses. I would however report it to the local police so you have it on record. Worst case is you wake up to find someone floating in your pool and their family sues you because you didn't do enough to prevent it.
Now the bird repellent spikes you can argue a good case just don't mention to anyone that it's also for keeping people out. Also a motion detector that has an alarm would be pretty good. Something loud enough to scare them and maybe wake you up but not so loud it wakes the whole neighborhood. suimming pool alarm - Google Search

How often do you think they are using your pool ?? Once a month, week ...

I agree that it will be just as easy to get over 6 or 8 foot fence. Cameras that can record off of motion or just record in a loop will help you catch the person(s). Motion activated lights night help too. You might also post "No Trespassing" signs. I've heard of people jumping a fence to swim and getting hurt and suing the homeowner.

Or, an easy solution might be to just get a big dog. :shark: :p

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How about staying up a few nights and see if you can catch them? I find here in Texas the sound of a pump action shotgun loading a shell is a strong deterrent :)

In all seriousness, the motion detector spot light sounds best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.