Leak in new liner gasket under steps.

Jul 26, 2016
Plainview, NY
I am hoping someone can help. I have a 38x16 vinyl liner pool with fiberglass stairs. The pool is around 20 years old and I have been in the house for 4 years. Last year we replaced the liner I am not sure how old it was but it was very faded and there was a leak that we could not locate after having a diver come. The pool still seemed to loose water and that was confirmed over the winter when covered. After about 3 months the water dropped below the light while covered. At that point I had to fill the pool because there was only about a foot left in the low end of the pool and I did not want to damage the new liner.

I assumed that that the leak must be in the main drain, so I plugged the drain however I continued to loose water, so I was back to thinking it was in the pool shel. I was searching the bottom of the pool and noticed the just under the stair molding the gasket must have slipped out on the right side during installation. You can see the outline of the gasket in the liner and it is a bit discolored. It is about 3/4 of the gasket to the corner. I did a dye test but could not see the dye floating out but to be honest I an not sure I did it correctly.

Would a a gasket being off cause this type of leak? I loose about 1/2 inch ever 24 hours. Can this even be fixed. If I drain the pool to remove the molding and reset the gasket I would only have 3 or four inches of water in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.