Should i upgrade to a VS?

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
Current pump. Singe speed. 1.5hp. 3450rpm. 230//115. 8/16 amps, My meter says i,m pulling 1600watts or 1.6 kw, Sta-rite. PHK2RA6F-103L. Motor #168453

Live in michigan, runs almost 6 months of the year. 35 bucks a month x 6 = 210 bucks a year.

So if a VS can save me 50% for example, i would save 105 bucks a year, x 4 years. 440 bucks.

I seen a VS motor. 1.65hp for 400 bucks free shipping. Would that bolt into my current impellar/houseing and give the same water pressure/movement when set at max? Of my current pump.

Variable Speed Pool Pump Motors - INYOPools.com

Anyone familiar with this brand? Or recomment a 1.5hp variable motor?

Should i do this?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a spa and pool heater, so when i turn either of these on, i would want maximum pressure/flow.

Would that bolt into my current impellar/houseing and give the same water pressure/movement when set at max? Of my current pump.
Yes it would.

But when doing a cost analysis of a VS, you need to include the cost of protecting the drive. You will need surge protection for the pump electronics ($100-$200).

Another option would be to replace the current motor with a two speed. Low speed saves about 75% in energy cost.

As to which way to go, you just need to run the numbers to see if it is worth it.

The vs pumps are most efficient at low speeds so if you plan on running it at high speed for the same amount of time then I would say you won't really save anything.this also holds true for the 2 speed pumps.I personally am saving about 60 percent on my daily kw usage but running 24hr a day.I have had my vs pump In for 2 swim seasons now and because I bought and put it in myself it has already pretty much paid for itself.
Current pump. Singe speed. 1.5hp. 3450rpm. 230//115. 8/16 amps, My meter says i,m pulling 1600watts or 1.6 kw, Sta-rite. PHK2RA6F-103L. Motor #168453

Live in michigan, runs almost 6 months of the year. 35 bucks a month x 6 = 210 bucks a year.

So if a VS can save me 50% for example, i would save 105 bucks a year, x 4 years. 440 bucks.

I seen a VS motor. 1.65hp for 400 bucks free shipping. Would that bolt into my current impellar/houseing and give the same water pressure/movement when set at max? Of my current pump.

Variable Speed Pool Pump Motors - INYOPools.com

Anyone familiar with this brand? Or recomment a 1.5hp variable motor?

Should i do this?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a spa and pool heater, so when i turn either of these on, i would want maximum pressure/flow.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the rpm of the motor and the pump size will determine how much water pressure you will have so if the motor will do at least the same rpms and it fits on your pump then you should be fine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.