Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should i upgrade to a VS?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should i upgrade to a VS?

Current pump. Singe speed. 1.5hp. 3450rpm. 230//115. 8/16 amps, My meter says i,m pulling 1600watts or 1.6 kw, Sta-rite. PHK2RA6F-103L. Motor #168453

Live in michigan, runs almost 6 months of the year. 35 bucks a month x 6 = 210 bucks a year.

So if a VS can save me 50% for example, i would save 105 bucks a year, x 4 years. 440 bucks.

I seen a VS motor. 1.65hp for 400 bucks free shipping. Would that bolt into my current impellar/houseing and give the same water pressure/movement when set at max? Of my current pump.

Variable Speed Pool Pump Motors - INYOPools.com

Anyone familiar with this brand? Or recomment a 1.5hp variable motor?

Should i do this?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a spa and pool heater, so when i turn either of these on, i would want maximum pressure/flow.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should i upgrade to a VS?

Anyone?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know. More here, How To Replace the Motor on Your Pool Pump - INYOPools.com

I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG and it uses 150 watts. Very efficient.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Check for state/utility rebates. I was able to get 2/3 of my pump paid for by my state rebate and self installing. I needed to to the entire pump since the "motor only" was not an approved unit. My payback will likely be 1.5 to 2 years.
    Pool: 40x15ft "Mt. Lake" shaped plaster IG (30k gallons with Borates)
    SWG: Circupool Si-45
    Pumps: Hayward MaxFlo VS (SP2302VSP) + Booster Pump for Polaris 180
    Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA-60D (Sand)
    Test Kit: TF-100 (with Speed Stir)

5. Back To Top    #5

Would that bolt into my current impellar/houseing and give the same water pressure/movement when set at max? Of my current pump.
    Yes it would.

But when doing a cost analysis of a VS, you need to include the cost of protecting the drive. You will need surge protection for the pump electronics ($100-$200).

Another option would be to replace the current motor with a two speed. Low speed saves about 75% in energy cost.

As to which way to go, you just need to run the numbers to see if it is worth it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

On the motor itself does it say it's a "56Y" Frame Number ??

If so this should be a bolt in replacement but I'd still run it by whatever seller you use - - > A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Is a.o smith a good motor? What motor brands are the best, i dont mind investing and waiting 3 years to break even.

8. Back To Top    #8

The vs pumps are most efficient at low speeds so if you plan on running it at high speed for the same amount of time then I would say you won't really save anything.this also holds true for the 2 speed pumps.I personally am saving about 60 percent on my daily kw usage but running 24hr a day.I have had my vs pump In for 2 swim seasons now and because I bought and put it in myself it has already pretty much paid for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222 View Post
    Current pump. Singe speed. 1.5hp. 3450rpm. 230//115. 8/16 amps, My meter says i,m pulling 1600watts or 1.6 kw, Sta-rite. PHK2RA6F-103L. Motor #168453

Live in michigan, runs almost 6 months of the year. 35 bucks a month x 6 = 210 bucks a year.

So if a VS can save me 50% for example, i would save 105 bucks a year, x 4 years. 440 bucks.

I seen a VS motor. 1.65hp for 400 bucks free shipping. Would that bolt into my current impellar/houseing and give the same water pressure/movement when set at max? Of my current pump.

Variable Speed Pool Pump Motors - INYOPools.com

Anyone familiar with this brand? Or recomment a 1.5hp variable motor?

Should i do this?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a spa and pool heater, so when i turn either of these on, i would want maximum pressure/flow.
    - - - Updated - - -

Oh and the rpm of the motor and the pump size will determine how much water pressure you will have so if the motor will do at least the same rpms and it fits on your pump then you should be fine
    aprox 18k in ground

9. Back To Top    #9

Ya would only run full speed if i,m heating the pool or using the spa, I wanna do what your doingbut about 16 hours a day at low speed

10. Back To Top    #10

It's working well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222 View Post
    Ya would only run full speed if i,m heating the pool or using the spa, I wanna do what your doingbut about 16 hours a day at low speed
    aprox 18k in ground