Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Pump Time and Chlorine percentage

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Pump Time and Chlorine percentage

Hello All

I am coming off a slam and trying to figure out the optimal setting in terms of pump time and chlorine output percentage going forward while my chlorine decreases. Seeing that the saniclear 20 outputs a maximum chlorine of .33kg (~.7 pounds) is there a cool formula to determine what is the optimal chlorine percentage as well as pump time? If not, based on my pump information of 34-85 gpm (average ~60 gpm) I am thinking at a minimal I will need to run the pump for around 6 hours. Assuming I run the pump for 6 hours, I am but not sure exactly how to calculate the setting that would be best for me. Please help.

Thanks!!!!

hardness 250
    tc 15
    fc 15
    ph 7.6
    CYA 70
    17500 gal, IG fiberglass, 1.5 HP Jacuzzi pump, 350 lb Sand Filter, Saniclear 20 SWG, Aquabot Rapid XLS Automatic cleaning robot. TF-100 Testing Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Pump Time and Chlorine percentage

Yes, there is. Here is the member's thread who created it, it is in his sig.
    Formula for SWG / Pump Runtime?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

gmike,

Wow.. looks like the you are going to have to run your pump for 16.4 hours with the SWG at 100% just to replace 3 ppm of chlorine.

Sounds like it is time for a bigger SWG or a variable speed pump..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Note that you will need to know the actual "function time" of your swg. That is how many minutes the manufacturer considers to be a full cycle. Then the output will relate to a percentage of that run time. Most do not modulate, they simply switch on or off for a duration based upon the cycle time.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. This is exactly what I am looking for. That post should be a sticky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    gmike,

Wow.. looks like the you are going to have to run your pump for 16.4 hours with the SWG at 100% just to replace 3 ppm of chlorine.

Sounds like it is time for a bigger SWG or a variable speed pump..

Jim R.
    This might be a silly question, but can you mix and match the controller with the cell? For example, can I keep my Saniclear 20 controller but connect it to a Aqua Rite T-15 cell?
    17500 gal, IG fiberglass, 1.5 HP Jacuzzi pump, 350 lb Sand Filter, Saniclear 20 SWG, Aquabot Rapid XLS Automatic cleaning robot. TF-100 Testing Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are the results of the calculator:
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gmike09 View Post
    This might be a silly question, but can you mix and match the controller with the cell? For example, can I keep my Saniclear 20 controller but connect it to a Aqua Rite T-15 cell?
    Sorry, but I truly doubt it. Most SWG controllers are matched to their respective cells.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.