Granite plywood underlayment near grill?

Mar 28, 2013
San Jose, CA
Hi all,

Pizza oven and bar are done so now I'm working on the kitchen. It's metal stud with cement board construction. I have granite for the counter top and was planning on using plywood under it as I did with the bar. I'm concerned about the exposed edge of the plywood under the granite near the grill. Can I cover that edge with the cement board that will cover part of the interior of the enclosure or is that enough separation? Can I use cement board under the granite instead of plywood? That doesn't seem as rigid. I should point out there isn't an insulated jacket for the grill.

thanks much,
Steve

Are we talking about a slab of granite or tiles? A slab would support without plywood. You can just cut the plywood back away from the edge of the grill.

You should be able to check the install manual for clearance requirements. If you are concerned about supporting the top, I have an overhang on my kitchen bar top that is braced underneath with a steel angle. The granite is glued to it with silicone. That will provide more support than plywood and is non combustable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.