Clarifier ? what is the risk?

Jun 5, 2015
Omaha/NE
In the beginners guide, it noted to avoid using Clarifiers.
10 year pool owner, and have never used them.
However, just recovering from an algae green pool, and have guests coming over and was hoping to speed things up. Water is clear, but not "crystal clear"

Fiberglass pool, with Granite bottom
36k Gal
Cartridge filter

FC 23, CA 60

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Some people have no success with clarifiers, some have some success. Usually it's just a matter of time to get dust all filtered out. A very slow pass in the morning with the vacuum helps, and then brushing to get the dust suspended and on its way to the filter.

When my pool was new it took a while to clear it and we tried a few different clarifiers. The only one that worked for me was poly-diallyldimethylammonium chloride. If you try a clarifier, do not put more than the recommended amount in. More is not better. But overall, TFPC doesn't mess with clarifiers because they usually don't work. I haven't heard of any negative effects other than the one on your wallet.

Good luck and happy swimming!

GLB Clear Blue is a clarifier based on a poly-DADMAC cationic surfactant chemistry. Use as directed and it might help. It will break down from chlorine exposure so there should be no lasting effect other than a slight increase in chlorine demand. Do not use more than directed - as others have said, more is NOT better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.