Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clarifier ? what is the risk?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarifier ? what is the risk?

In the beginners guide, it noted to avoid using Clarifiers.
    10 year pool owner, and have never used them.
    However, just recovering from an algae green pool, and have guests coming over and was hoping to speed things up. Water is clear, but not "crystal clear"

Fiberglass pool, with Granite bottom
    36k Gal
    Cartridge filter

FC 23, CA 60

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clarifier ? what is the risk?

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Some people have no success with clarifiers, some have some success. Usually it's just a matter of time to get dust all filtered out. A very slow pass in the morning with the vacuum helps, and then brushing to get the dust suspended and on its way to the filter.

When my pool was new it took a while to clear it and we tried a few different clarifiers. The only one that worked for me was poly-diallyldimethylammonium chloride. If you try a clarifier, do not put more than the recommended amount in. More is not better. But overall, TFPC doesn't mess with clarifiers because they usually don't work. I haven't heard of any negative effects other than the one on your wallet.

Good luck and happy swimming!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

GLB Clear Blue is a clarifier based on a poly-DADMAC cationic surfactant chemistry. Use as directed and it might help. It will break down from chlorine exposure so there should be no lasting effect other than a slight increase in chlorine demand. Do not use more than directed - as others have said, more is NOT better.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!