leak causing bubbles?

Serious1

Silver Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
NE
This is our first year with new pool. About a month ago the pipe shown in the picture started dripping. Is it possible this is what is causing the large air bubbles coming out of the returns and in the pump basket? We also have a hard time getting it to prime after cleaning the DE filter. I have called the PB every week for 4 weeks and he hasn't shown. Pool is under warranty.

red arrow is where the leak/drip originates, the puddle of water is on the cement below (blue arrow).

That's a return line. I'd expect a leak on the suction side if you're getting air bubbles in the pump basket.

Is this brand new? Has it always done this?

Also - have you double checked to make sure the gasket on the window/lid for the pump basket is sealing properly and is correctly tightened down? That could be causing the bubbles.

The pool is new this year, it was running fine from the end of April when it was opened....until 4 weeks ago, the leak and the bubbles appeared at the same time. We checked the pump basket lid/seal & plugs and didn't see any issues.

Pool Builder leaving me hanging....

Pool was opened in April and he still hasn't done pool school with us. I have an air leak (bubbles in the pump basket and return lines) and a water leak and have called him every week for 5 weeks and just get voicemail and no return call. The pool is under warranty but doesn't do much good if he never shows up!

My question is...will the bubbles ruin the pump? The basket is pretty much full, it just looks like massive carbonation in the basket. I also can't shut off the pump, it'll lose prime and take forever to start back up.

Re: Pool Builder leaving me hanging....

cover is coverstar encapsulated cover, light gray and we love it so far!

I can see the water leak at the joint so I know exactly where that's at. Haven't found any suction side leaks that are obvious.

Pool was opened in April and he still hasn't done pool school with us. I have an air leak (bubbles in the pump basket and return lines) and a water leak and have called him every week for 5 weeks and just get voicemail and no return call. The pool is under warranty but doesn't do much good if he never shows up!

My question is...will the bubbles ruin the pump? The basket is pretty much full, it just looks like massive carbonation in the basket. I also can't shut off the pump, it'll lose prime and take forever to start back up.

The bubbles will not ruin the pump, as long as it does not run dry.

The most likely cause of those bubbles, and why your pump will not prime, is a bad seal between the pump basket lid and the pump itself. Not sure what kind of pump you have, but generally there is a large O-Ring under the lid. This O-Ring needs to be coated with Pool Lube that any pool store will have. Obviously, the lid needs to be on tight.

If that does not fix the issue, then send us a pic of your equipment pad showing the pump and any associated valves.

You don't need pool school, we can walk you through everything...

Do you already have your TF100 test kit? If not, you will need it before we can help with any chemical issues. We need good and accurate test data about the chemicals in your pool and the only way to do that is to have everyone use the same basic test kits. This way we can compare apples to apples..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Would the o-ring have issues so soon? It's new and has only been running 3 months. It's a Hayward super pump.
I posted a pic in another thread.

I have a taylor k2006 test kit.

thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have the same cover and depending on use it can really have an impact on chemical usage and water temp. I love mine but not understanding the impact it has is a learning experience. We can take this to another thread or PM.

Is this the one with the Square Lid?

No matter how new it is, it could be pinched, or even missing, if you ever opened the lid. But no matter what, it is best to double check the obvious before going down the unknown path.

It may be perfect, but it will on take a couple of minutes to inspect it and put pool lube on it.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.