Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a pool?

Building a pool and looking for recommendations on what to include. I am also thinking about doing all but the dig and cement work myself. Any advice would be most appreciated. Right now I am thinking about an l-shaped pool (so we can have a larger play area and also a diving board). Also leaning towards saltwater and polymer walls because of the cost savings and the idea of putting steel in the ground doesn't excite me.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. What a great site/resource!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a p

Of course, you need a good test kit like the TF-100 plus the SpeedStir!

SWCG
    Abalone shells
    Benches
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a p

Quote Originally Posted by swagsandwich View Post
    Building a pool and looking for recommendations on what to include. I am also thinking about doing all but the dig and cement work myself. Any advice would be most appreciated. Right now I am thinking about an l-shaped pool (so we can have a larger play area and also a diving board). Also leaning towards saltwater and polymer walls because of the cost savings and the idea of putting steel in the ground doesn't excite me.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. What a great site/resource!
    I know what you don't want there- UV/Ozone sanitizer, any solid chlorine tabs dispenser or some metal based algae prevention system. Expensive and useless at the same time.
    Please make sure you get VS pump and (here I'm biased) DE filter.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I vote for a tanning ledge with umbrella!
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

5. Back To Top    #5

Must haves for me are:
    Usable depth throughout, usable unimpeded length (for laps), a wow factor of some kind (water/fire features), shade.

Check out liner-over-stairs options, i think avoiding the traditional fiberglass stairs looks a lot better.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Cool Re: Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a p

DE filter for sure. Rounded edges corners are harder to clean. Thermal plumbing rather than a cover for heat. Plaster (white) holds up the best. More mechanical than electronic system ( less convenient but more reliable and cheaper to install /maintain) Color changing lights or lenses. Swim up bar
    Last edited by buytheseapools; 08-13-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: trying figure out. proper spacing

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Umbrella mount(s) - we have a built in table and the umbrella covers two built in loungers. Great area to relax in the water. Diving board. SWG. We have a 3" ledge around from the 3 1/2' end to the 8' end - is a great place for younger kids to stand and take a break, or helps if you want to hop out of pool where there is no ladder.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

42" deep standing benches in the deep end corners attached to 18" deep ones.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh, and a good robot!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

Awesome! Keep them coming!

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a vinyl liner like you are leaning towards. For me, must haves are a bench in the deep end (you'll get so much more use out of that area with it) and liner covered steel stairs. Also really nice coping, in-pool lights and a heater (though the heater can easily be added later).
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

12. Back To Top    #12

Auto-fill to maintain water level and overflow drain so no adding water every few days in the summer and no standing in the rain draining pool in winter....
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

13. Back To Top    #13

We've got two young kids (and we are big kids ourselves) so our must have was a slide!
    (We got the S.R.Smith Turbo Twister!)
    IG Vinyl Mountain Pond 22x36/ Depth: 3'4"-6'6"/ About 19,000 Gallons/ Pentair/ Clean&Clear Plus420/ Intellichlor IC40/
    Easy Touch/ Intellabrite 5G LED Color-Changing Light/ DeckJetsII/ S.R.Smith slide

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    Auto-fill to maintain water level and overflow drain so no adding water every few days in the summer and no standing in the rain draining pool in winter....
    The OP is in Goshen, Indiana. He will be ice skating on his pool in the winter.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    The OP is in Goshen, Indiana. He will be ice skating on his pool in the winter.
    Well maybe in spring or fall???
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

16. Back To Top    #16

What is thermal plumbing?

17. Back To Top    #17

I would for sure suggest you look into a built in table. Our builder called it a Margarita table. We use it all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Friendswood TX, 23x39 free form , 20K gallons , 3 HP VS pentair , 1 HP whiisperflo, Pentair easy touch , 400k BTU pentaier heater, Deck Jets, Pentair 5g LED Lights. Tanning ledge with bubblers. Taylor 2006 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks so much for your input! Love these. How about decking? People happy with concrete? Happier with composite decking? Is it worth it to go more upscale and do travertine?

And yes, I will be ice skating in the winter

I am thinking I might go with an L shaped pool so we have a mini- usable area for volleyball, basketball, etc, but still have a deep end for a diving board/slide

19. Back To Top    #19

The L shape sounds like the best of both worlds! Go for it!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Hello fellow northern Indiana neighbor, I'm just a long stones throw from you over in south bend!

I have only come into ownership of a pool in the past 5 months, but having the opportunity to build your own, take some time to really think about the layout/style of things around the pool as well. Yes it can all be added later, but if the table or bench in the pool isn't feasible right now, maybe make a little cabana bar just outside of it, or add a long rectangle covered area with some nice furniture to enjoy as well.

My wife and I were recently at a friends house and their pool almost seemed secondary to their little Caribbean retreat of a layout outside of the pool. They had a 3-waterfall system off to the side flowing down onto gorgeous obsidian type rocks, beautiful multi-tiered levels which included a hot tub, what seemed to be an outdoor sauna, a rinse-off/shower area, and a full open seating bar area complete with storage, TV, built in grill, and sink.

It felt like a little mini getaway.

Remember, we only get about 4 months (5 if your brave) of use so make sure whatever you do, you use the bonkers out of it!

An idea FOR the pool, built in retractable hardcover (also seen at friends house) fall and winter can be brutal here, I'm not looking forward to the amount of time cleaning leaves out of the pool...

Good luck! I'm excited to see the progress and eventually final product!
    In-ground Rectangle Pool
    Size: 20x40
    Gallons: 28400
    Pentair TA60 Sand Filter (Installed April 2002)
    Purex Triton Pinnacle High Perf Pump (1HP single speed I believe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast