Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does a pool cover change target values?

1. Back To Top    #1

San Jose, CA

Does a pool cover change target values?

Has anyone thought through how a heavy-duty pool cover changes the target values that we should be shooting for?
    For example, I'm imagining CYA should be lower than usual, since the water sees much less sun ...

TF-100 readings as of this morning:
    FC 2.0 (added 1 gal after this reading, so probably around 5.0 now)
    CC 0
    pH 7.3
    CYA 30
    TA 220
    CH 300?
    Filled 5/1/2013! 36k gallon 20x40 IG with 7x7 spa, FinestFinish, AquaMatic cover, All Pentair: Clean&Clear 520 sqft cartridge filter, Intelliflow 4x160 variable speed pump, 2 HP whisper flow spa jet pump, 400k BTU MasterTemp heater, Letro Platinum pool cleaner, Rainbow 320 chlorine feeder, Pac Fab Bermuda skimmer
    More details: pics-new-pb-20x40-ig-gunite-7x7-spa-7x7-shamu-shelf-t54952.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does a pool cover change target values?

I have a cover and still keep my CYA at 45ppm since when I do open it it doesn't deplete the FC during the day. The cover does save a ton of chlorine when it is closed. I will only burn about .5ppm per day when it closed verses about 2.5ppm per day if it is open.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

I love our solar cover. I loose little to no chlorine when it is covered. I do have a smaller pool and add chlorine every 2-4 days to bring it up 1ppm when covered. It's wonderful, low maintenance and costs very little (thank you TPP!). I have averaged between 30-40 on my CYA this year. I just refilled after a new liner and fixing the pool. On a sunny day without the cover I will loose about 1 to 1.5 ppm (also dependent on swimmer load). I do agree with wjr75 about being closer to 40 for stabilizing. At 30 I think it is difficult (at least for me) to keep everything balanced and not drifting. When I approached 40 CYA everything pretty much stayed in target range and chlorine loses are minimal. I don't know enough about the chemistry to really give a legit response but just going by what I have noticed myself. I slowly brought up my CYA and my magic number was 35-40...A little tough to tell the number on my Taylor kit.

My normals:
    pH = 7.4
    FC = 3 to 4
    TA = 110
    CYA = 35-40
    CH 150
    NEW POOL OWNER - 2 yrs owned this house with pool
    1998 AG 18x32 (Johnny Weissmuller, Safari Pool) - 54 inch deep - vinyl liner - 15,000 gal - hayward vari flo xl sand filter (75GPM/284LPM Flow, 50PSI/3.5 Bar Pressure) - Hayward Pro Flo Matrix Pump 1.0HP - 2in piping - chlorinate with liquid bleach - solar cover used unless swimming - K2006 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

If I'm not careful to open my pool up often enough my FC tends to rise more than necessary. I tend to run my CYA a skosh lower. My SWG is currently set at 10%.

Its good to open the pool and let the sun burn off any CCs and gas build up.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5

Crystal Lake, IL (near Chicago)

Well now I'm curious. My CYA=40, and I target FC=7 (high end of min 3, target 5). I have a solar cover (temp ~89F now) and loose about 2-3 ppm/day with light load. Based on others experience, this now seems high. It has been like this all summer. Water is clear, and my pH tends to run low.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, unused Zodiak Nature2 mineral sanitizer

John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

89F is fairly warm, the farther you go outside the range for your CYA the faster it will burn off cover or not, a clear cover will not protect as much as opaque, and 2-3 is normal I would not over think it. If the water is clear and has been all summer the only thing you should adjust is the amount of time you more is always better.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.