Pinhole in Pentair SD 40

Senea

Jul 31, 2013
I guess I'm in the market for a new filter. I'm thinking of going with a cartridge filter since I get a lot of really fine dust from my dogs and the sand filter has a hard time with it. Any recommendations ?
I probably need to move on this quickly before the pinhole gets big or some dramatic happens.

Edit: on further reflection perhaps a DE filter with cellulos fiber instead of DE is the way to go. With the dogs I will not use DE.

Some things to keep in mind:

With a cartridge filter, you will not normally have a multiport valve. So if you vacuum to waste or use any other mode you will be out of luck. The only way to clean them, it to take the cartridges out.

I don't believe that DE is an issue with dogs or people when in the pool. Only when exposed to DE dust for long periods of time would it be an issue. Not at all likely in a pool setting.

Whatever filter you buy.. Go Big. The bigger the filter the less often you have to clean it.

Jim R.

My DE concerns don't come from the pool it self but rather the back washing. The DE comes out, it dries, it's now in the yard. I'm probably being over cautious but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I ended up going with a DE filter, it's way over sized for my pool. I should be getting it today so now I just have to figure out how to install it. Not really what I wanted to do this weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.