Pool Update - The Eagle Has Landed

Guybrush3pwood

Silver Supporter
Jul 5, 2016
Marcellus, NY
Just wanted to give a quick update for those who had been following my ordeal in the last two threads on the subject.

After some more cleaning, maintaining chlorine and a wee bit of DE added to the filter, we have a totally swimable pool. Huge thanks to CJ, Leebo, and kimkats for all their help! We've been enjoying the pool all this week and, you were all right, it was worth the blood, sweat and tears I put into it.

I was following your last thread & couldn't believe you were ready to give up. Glad to hear it's clearing up, it'll keep getting better from here.
I suspect the filter is why it took so long to clear up. What's your pressure after backwashing & after adding the DE. Keep a close eye on your PH & FC and you shouldn't have any trouble.

After the amount of time and effort I had invested, when it seemed to be going nowhere fast, and THEN it seemed like my filter had leaks, I was ready to call it quits. Glad I didn't!

PSI is 16 clean and 18 with half a cup of DE. I might backwash again this weekend and do 1/4 cup just to keep that pressure up.

Im letting my FC dip below 10 today so I can test PH, but I'm thinking it's ok.

...........and we'd like to thank YOU for the donation!! Even a larger thank you for the kind words!! Im so glad all worked out for you and look forward to seeing some photos of that little one enjoying the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My only concern at this point is the two tiny holes I found in the floor of the liner and the amount of sand I've been finding in the floor. I thought I vacuumed it all up yesterday, but when I got in today there was a bunch there again.

Maybe I missed some? Maybe it's coming in the holes in the liner? Maybe it's coming in from the filter somehow? Hard to say. I'm going to start by patching the holes and see if that keeps the sand out. Hopefully Walmart carries patch kits. If not, I'll have to get it on amazon.

My only concern at this point is the two tiny holes I found in the floor of the liner and the amount of sand I've been finding in the floor. I thought I vacuumed it all up yesterday, but when I got in today there was a bunch there again.

Maybe I missed some? Maybe it's coming in the holes in the liner? Maybe it's coming in from the filter somehow? Hard to say. I'm going to start by patching the holes and see if that keeps the sand out. Hopefully Walmart carries patch kits. If not, I'll have to get it on amazon.

Could be possible.. If you have sand under the liner, the leaking water could be displacing the sand... long shot but maybe..

Keep an eye on your return after you backwash... if you have cracked lateral, the sand may shoot out right after a backwash.. If it does then its time to tear that filter a part and check the guts

That pool looks amazing compared to the first pictures!! Congrats on sticking with it to the end! Like CJ said, you may have cracked laterals but a little sand in the pool isn't the end of the world. I plan to take mine apart and replace the laterals next spring at opening as I get the same thing after a backwash.

Again, great work! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

P.S. How's the wife liking it? I seem to recall she wanted it tore down in one of those threads somewhere!

She's enjoying it! She admitted she was glad we kept it.

Yeah, after some research I'm almost certain the sand is due to cracked laterals. Not a big deal, not season I was wanting to overhaul the filter anyway, so that's no big deal, but...

...I found at least three holes in the liner. Not large by any means, but still, and since the patching didn't go well, I'm thinking it'll have to be replaced, and since it's likely to cost $800 to 1k to have it done, this pool maybe be destined for the scrap pile after all. Something we will have to evaluate next season.

I just happened to spot them. Patching just seems impossible. Not only do I have to keep track of pebble sized holes, but I have to hold my breath, try to stay down, and manage to keep the patch pressed together, open it quickly and apply it. It's quite the impossible mission.

I just happened to spot them. Patching just seems impossible. Not only do I have to keep track of pebble sized holes, but I have to hold my breath, try to stay down, and manage to keep the patch pressed together, open it quickly and apply it. It's quite the impossible mission.

Lol! Having installed a couple patches I know exactly what you're talking about! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.