Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lamotte Waterlink Spin Lab Vs Taylor Drop Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Lamotte Waterlink Spin Lab Vs Taylor Drop Test

I brought my spa water for testing at two separate places with the following test results:

1st place (using taylor testing chemical drops)

free available chlorine: 5
    total available chlorine: 7.5
    calcium hardness: 50
    cyanuric acid: 0
    total alkalinity: 100
    ph: 7.4

2nd place (using LaMotte WaterLink SPIN Lab)

free available chlorine: 3.32
    total chlorine: 21.33
    calcium hardness: 0
    cyanuric acid: 15
    total alkalinity: 76
    ph: 7.3

With these results, I'm baffled as to why the test results are so drastically different in regards to the total available chlorine. The first place testing at 7.5 ppm compared to the 2nd place testing at 21.33 ppm????? Has anyone ever received similar test results for the total available that appear to be this drastic in comparison? One place is obviously totally off here and I'm not sure who's test to believe. Although, I've read a number of postings that the Taylor drop testing is more accurate. Therefore, any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Lamotte Waterlink Spin Lab Vs Taylor Drop Test

Welcome to TFP!

They are so vastly different because we find that most pool stores are horrendous at water testing. We don't recomend anyone go there to have water tested. We recomend you get your own quality/accurate test kit and use it for your own testing.

Also note, that yes, Taylor drop testing is better testing in our opinion, but only if done correctly. Most pool stores don't get it right, even when using Taylor tests.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks for showing yet again that pool store testing is unreliable and that we are correct to recommend that people test their own water at home with a good test kit like the TF-100 from
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    Edmond OK

This post should be required reading for every new user that comes on here with a set of pool store results.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"

5. Back To Top    #5

I wish you (OP) could have also supplied your own results.
    Please repeat after you get your own test kit.

I have screwed up with a test kit. I might anticipate how many drops it will take before changing the color so I "cheat" and add more than one drop at a time. Then I blow right by the indicator and have to start over.
    The guy at the store might do the same but not bother to start over. He just gives you a number.
    Hot Springs Sovereign (1999?)