Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: High cya

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    High cya

    I know I'm gonna get blasted for not testing everything and posting it but my CYA is around 100-115ish. The pool is fairly new and been using rainbow inline chlorinate, yeah I know I know. Anyways, is it normal for it to be this high so soon? Only had pool since Christmas, 10k gallons. Currently replacing some water. What I have trouble with is time coming and fully testing it so often so I typically use the cheap quick ph and chlorine tester. Will switching to salt aid in keeping chlorine levels up without raising cya too much
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  2. Back To Top    #2


    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Valley CA
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: High cya

    CYA going that high it totally possible if you have a fair amount of FC burn off and being in Vegas I am going to guess that is the case. You can use pool math to see how much is added with each puck from there just multiply by a guesstimate of how many pucks you have used. It is also likely the PB added CYA at start up so you may have started with 30+ before you even used the first puck. Not sure what a salt aid is, if that is a SWG I would highly suggest you do convert. SWG is not going to eliminate the need for testing and maintaining the water but at least it will not add CYA.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    CYA going that high it totally possible if you have a fair amount of FC burn off and being in Vegas I am going to guess that is the case. You can use pool math to see how much is added with each puck from there just multiply by a guesstimate of how many pucks you have used. It is also likely the PB added CYA at start up so you may have started with 30+ before you even used the first puck. Not sure what a salt aid is, if that is a SWG I would highly suggest you do convert. SWG is not going to eliminate the need for testing and maintaining the water but at least it will not add CYA.
    I bought the big tub of tabs from Costco and it's about 85% gone. I always turn on my sheer descents and bubblers, I gather that can decrease FC as well? Also solar heat and the pool is usually around 87-92 degrees

    Yeah that was typo, SWG. I get that it won't eliminate but if it helps to maintain chlorine a little better without jacking up the cya I think I'll get one.
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Will adding a conditioner or something help drop cya or I'm stuck with replacing water at these levels?
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad Jimrahbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bedford, TX
    Posts
    5,322

    Re: High cya

    Big,

    Nothing will reliably reduce CYA except some water replacement.

    You say your CYA is 100 to 115 ish.. How do you know, and how are you testing your water? If the test reads 100 it can be several hundred and there is no way to tell without the proper test kit. You've been here for a year, so I'm sure this is not new to you.

    Sheers and bubblers will cause an increase in your pH level, but have little effect on the FC level. The addition of a SWG will also cause an increase in your pH.

    Thanks,

    Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Oh is low also. I bought one of the recommended test kits here. The cya black dot disappeared a little before the 100 mark so I guessed the rest of it. I have it slowly draining right now so when I get home from work I can replace some water and reevaluate.
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  7. Back To Top    #7

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: High cya

    You got to stop using the tabs. Save them for vacations. A SWG will work for chlorine. It's what I use. LC works great if you are there every day or so to dose as needed.

    Which kit did you buy?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    You got to stop using the tabs. Save them for vacations. A SWG will work for chlorine. It's what I use. LC works great if you are there every day or so to dose as needed.

    Which kit did you buy?
    Haven't bought one yet. I saw the 40k gallon Hayward kit on Amazon. Might just have somebody install one locally so I don't have to deal with it. Going to make some calls later
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Ok so got home and tested water again. Put some bleach this morning before I left, left water draining a bit and auto fill on. Visibly water went down a little but I'm sure I got rid of quite a bit.
    Hopefully I did this right.
    FC-1
    CC-0.5
    PH-6.8
    TA-80
    CH-825
    CYA-75
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    So if I understand this correctly. I need to still drain out some more water, add soda ash, and a little bleach. I'm guessing it's best to drain more and then retest
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    523

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarbs View Post
    So if I understand this correctly. I need to still drain out some more water, add soda ash, and a little bleach. I'm guessing it's best to drain more and then retest
    I don't know about the rest but I'm confused- where those numbers came from? If you used K2006/TF100 test kit to get them please add test kit name to your signature if not- then I have no reference point and those numbers can mean anything. Hope you understand the dilemma here.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    I don't know about the rest but I'm confused- where those numbers came from? If you used K2006/TF100 test kit to get them please add test kit name to your signature if not- then I have no reference point and those numbers can mean anything. Hope you understand the dilemma here.
    I'm confused by your post. If I get 825ppm on test kit A then I should get the same on test kit B also right? Or a CYA should be the same on both? If I have high CYA I can get different kit to fix it?
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    523

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarbs View Post
    I'm confused by your post. If I get 825ppm on test kit A then I should get the same on test kit B also right? Or a CYA should be the same on both? If I have high CYA I can get different kit to fix it?
    only if you used K2006 or TF100 kits. I don't know about the other kits. We've seen a lot of those kits, strips, etc coming by here but none provided consistent and accurate enough results. K2006 and TF100 results are interchangeable, this was confirmed many times over. If you're using either of them please add its name to your signature; if not- please purchase TF100 kit, you'll thank yourself later .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    only if you used K2006 or TF100 kits. I don't know about the other kits. We've seen a lot of those kits, strips, etc coming by here but none provided consistent and accurate enough results. K2006 and TF100 results are interchangeable, this was confirmed many times over. If you're using either of them please add its name to your signature; if not- please purchase TF100 kit, you'll thank yourself later .
    Not sure how to edit signature line from phone so there's a pic
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: High cya

    We need to know exactly how you got those test results. Please tell us where they came from. If it was with your own testing equipment, what test equipment do you own? We do NOT trust results from pool stores or inferior home testing kits. Once we know that, we can go forward with helping!

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    523

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarbs View Post
    Not sure how to edit signature line from phone so there's a pic
    that will do so your numbers do reflect reality. Please add it to your sig when you get a chance so nobody will ask you to purchase TF100 again .

    Now back to your post #10- yes, you're correct and that's a good idea to re- test after partial drain/refill. Please trust test results over PoolMath: PoolMath provides close estimate but test always gives you real level, the only one which matters. Your current FC is awfully low for your CYA level but if you're going to do partial drain/refill you'd need to get those numbers then.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: High cya

    Cross-post. Do you have any 20 mule team borax on hand? If so, add a box as it will raise your pH. Please also add some liquid chlorine/ bleach ASAP. Also, add the K2006 to your signature.

    Two questions:
    How does your water look?
    Do you know how to use this? Pool School - PoolMath

    - - - Updated - - -

    Crud. I forgot you were draining and refilling. My bad. Do that and then adjust... Although if you DO have a box of borax, you could add that now. I am hyper about low pH.

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Las vegas nv
    Posts
    96

    Re: High cya

    Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Cross-post. Do you have any 20 mule team borax on hand? If so, add a box as it will raise your pH. Please also add some liquid chlorine/ bleach ASAP. Also, add the K2006 to your signature.

    Two questions:
    How does your water look?
    Do you know how to use this? Pool School - PoolMath

    - - - Updated - - -

    Crud. I forgot you were draining and refilling. My bad. Do that and then adjust... Although if you DO have a box of borax, you could add that now. I am hyper about low pH.
    Water is clean and clear. There was a very small spot of kind of yellowish algae in a corner but that's it. I'll retest everything in the morning once it's back to full level. Somebody said the fountains will help raise PH from aeration so I turned them all on while I was draining water.
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: High cya

    Brush everything well, especially in that corner.

    What size bottles do you have in that kit? Are the liquid ones 0.75 or 2oz bottles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •