Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The 3rd time HAS to be a charm...

1. Back To Top    #1

The 3rd time HAS to be a charm...

Hello!! I'm a newbie on here and have lots of questions. We installed an 18' Above Ground with a 1hp Hayward pump in June of this year. The water was great the first week (according to our pool store). It stayed that way for about a month, and then things began to go down hill. It was VERY hot, and the water started turning...dingy, then green, then brown . Back to the pool store, lots of chemicals to treat algae, both green and mustard, and lots of shock. It didn't clear up fast enough for us, so we drained it. Filled it back up, everything was great for about 4 more weeks, now we are at the same place AGAIN!! We are planning to drain it again tomorrow. I don't have a T100 test kit yet, been using the WWorld kit and the strips. I would like to get away from the pool store method and go with the TFP method. Where do I start?
    7,000 gallon, 18' Above Ground, 1Hp Hayward Sand Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: The 3rd time HAS to be a charm...

Welcome! The first step would be to order the TF-100. The methods suggested here involve adequate daily testing and only adding the appropriate chemicals that your pool needs. The method used here uses simple products at a lower cost and you will always have a clean and clear pool.

FYI, algeacide only prevents algae and doesn't kill existing algae. Liquid chlorine kills algae.

While waiting for your kit, read the following:

ABCs: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended levels: Pool School - Recommended Levels

Recommended chemicals: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

How to chlorinate your pool: Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Chlorine CYA/Chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

SLAM: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

If you do drain tomorrow, you will need to add enough CYA to get to 40 in order to protect the chlorine from the sun. After that, add about 1/4 of jug of liquid bleach daily which can be found at Wal-Mart (8.25% or 10%).
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

Start by ordering the test kit. That will be the best investment to make sure you don't have to drain again. If you are draining and refilling tomorrow, you will at least need to get both CYA and chlorine in the pool right off the bat. You can get your liquid chlorine from bleach. You can get CYA from lowes, maybe walmart or the pool store.

You can get an idea of what amounts of CYA and chlorine from PoolMath: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html (Bookmark that link!).

Read through pool school while you are waiting for that thing to fill: Pool School - Handy Reference

One of the more senior members will post shortly I'm sure with detailed instructions...but first off I would get a test kit ordered. With your own test kit, you won't have to go to the pool store again!

28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

gigi, Welcome to TFP, you will love it here...

I know it sounds just like one of those late-night TV commercials.. Buy this.. and it will cure cancer and bad breath.. But, that is not really the case here. Before we can help you fix your pool problems, we need reliable test data from your pool. Pool store tests, or other test kits, do not provide the data we need to be able to help you. Look through some of the bazillion posts here and you will see what I mean.

We will need the following chemical levels, and the only way to do that is to buy one of the recommended tests. The tests are easy to do, and you, not the pool store, control the quality and accuracy of the tests.

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Each of the above tests are somewhat interrelated, so it is very important for us to have accurate test data. We do this by asking everyone to use the same basic test kit, so that we are always comparing apples to apples.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone! I printed all of the documents and will read over them while the bad water goes away. The TF-100 is on it's way.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gigi55 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I printed all of the documents and will read over them while the bad water goes away. The TF-100 is on it's way.
    Excellent! You'll be enjoying a sparkly clear pool in no time, plus you'll be surprised how easy it is to keep it that way. Pool store - pfft!
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

8. Back To Top    #8

I commend the TFP method- I had a slight algae problem the first week I got the pool going, but once I got the test kit and read a bunch of posts here I instantly could tell what to do. I have had zero problems since. My friends who own pools were snickering and waiting on me to call the pool guy, recommending who to call, and lamenting on the expense I'd better get ready for. Now they are like you're keeping it like this it yourself? Yep.

Give me some bleach, some muriatic acid, some CYA and the test kit, and I can take care of business.
    Intex 26 X 52
    pump/filter that came with it + 24" Hayward S244T sand filter + Intex SWG & Hayward widemouth skimmer. Looking to upgrade pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Until my test kit gets here, all I have to go by are the strips to check the levels. I added 2 lbs of CYA, and 2 1/2 jugs of bleach. The total chlorine is 10, the FC is 5, ph is 6.2, TA is 40, and the Stabilizer is somewhere between 0-50. Now what?

- - - Updated - - -

10. Back To Top    #10

Follow this process as best you can, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Trust these guys. Ask all the questions you can. Ask them again if you still don't get it. They do not judge or put down. They answer questions, encourage us newbies to take control of our own pool and save us from the black hole that can be pool store advice. I am indebted to these folks for holding my hand through my first pool.....
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

12. Back To Top    #12

The pool looks a little better this morning. I added another pound of CYA last night. I am hoping the kit will be delivered today. Will TFTestkits provide a tracking number when the kit ships?

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok kids, got the TF-100 today. And here are the results:

FC-9
    CYA-90
    CC-1
    TA-120
    ph -no color matched, it was purple

Holy moly.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

The cya test is a light sensitive turbidity test that must be done in full sunlight with your back to the sun and vial at waist level.

Your first step should be to replace water to get your cya level down to 30 or 40.

Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

15. Back To Top    #15

And if you are debating water replacement and there could be ANY delay, get the pH down ASAP!!!!!

Do you know how to use PoolMath? Pool School - PoolMath

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, it is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8, 7.5 and 7.8 is better.
    TFP Moderator