Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: "greasy" looking white film on top of pool

"greasy" looking white film on top of pool

I have had my pool a couple of years but have never seen anything quite like what I saw today. I've had my pool covered for a couple of days with my solar cover on and the creepy crawly inside (but not running). Today when I took the cover off there's a weird "greasy" looking white film covering the top of the pool. My chemicals were all reading fairly normal but I did turn on the filter to run it through and see if I can get rid of it. The filter was just backwashed so it can't be that. Any ideas???
    Templehb - 16,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, Aquapure 1400 SWG, DE filter.

Re: "greasy" looking white film on top of pool

How about a picture so we can see what it looks like?
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

Re: "greasy" looking white film on top of pool

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture. That would have been a great idea! After posing my question, I went out to the pool and added a little bleach and kept the filter running. By the time I read the suggestion, the white crud had pretty much dissipated. The kids swam last night and it didn't seem to come back. I covered the pool again last night and will see if it returns today when I take the solar cover off. If it does, I will take a picture.
    Templehb - 16,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, Aquapure 1400 SWG, DE filter.