Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing old flat IG pool drain cover with safety drain cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing old flat IG pool drain cover with safety drain cover

Since pool is drained I wanted to replace the original flat main drain cover with a safer rounded cover. Gently tried to remove old cover but does not budge. Has anyone been successful in doing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 x 36; >45 yrs old IG Anthony pool; 25,000 gallons; Intelliflo variable speed pump; 60 sq in cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp pool heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Replacing old flat IG pool drain cover with safety drain cover

8 inch is a pretty standard size. Just google and you will find lots of retrofit safety drain covers. It should be a simple project to replace it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Safety Cover, Swimming Pool Covers, Swimming Pool Pumps, Pool Pump Parts - INYOPools.com

Try calling this company and see what they say. They sell the replacement part AND have awesome Cust. Service!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi Seven11, I would suggest this Universal VGB Main Drain Cover that fits all holes up to 10" in diameter. There are tabs on the underside of the cover which swivel to allow the cover to fit a wide range of hole sizes. Here is the Data Sheet for the Universal Main Drain Cover and here is the Install Sheet for the Universal Main Drain Cover.

Thank You
    Patrick

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Wow, $60 for a drain cover!
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I know... I think you are pretty much paying for the stamp on the drain that says "VGB Compliant"

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

When I google "8 inch universal pool drain cover", I get lots of them with prices ranging from around $10 to $49, with most in the $20 range. All but one looked to be compliant with the regulations.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for your replies. Called INYOpools and sent them a picture of the drain but never got a reply. Could not leave plaster pool empty any longer so acid washed and refilled it. INYOpools did have the replacement parts for an old American Products pool light which I ordered and am waiting to install.
    16 x 36; >45 yrs old IG Anthony pool; 25,000 gallons; Intelliflo variable speed pump; 60 sq in cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp pool heater

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

The AquaStar moflo 8" retrofit covers fit those frames nicely and they are pretty inexpensive.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source