Pool 911: Fungicide/Insecticide added to pool water...HELP

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
Water added to my pool today had Fungicide/insecticide in it. There was an oily sheen on the surface of the water and the water smelled like chemicals. My skin is burning just from doing a water test. The pool is getting drained right now and will be empty by morning. I will need to clean every bit of that oily residue off before refill tomorrow morning. What do I use to clean the pool surfaces and remove the oil?

I have had chemicals in my pool before, nothing this bad, but I spent an entire summer trying to feed my pool enough chlorine to get rid of the chemicals. My husband was willing to do a drain and refill so I wouldn't have to go through the mess I went through before. The pool is already empty except for about 3". The plan is to have it filled again before lunch tomorrow. I just want to make sure it is safe. If the chlorine will break down the chemicals, I'll just use dry towels to wipe away the oil I can see.

- - - Updated - - -

My husband it a farmer. We own the tanker that was used to fill the pool. There was a miscommunication and the person filling the pool used the wrong hose (a hose that had been used to fill crop dusters with Fungicide and insecticide).

Thanks everyone, I'll be using pooldv's spray cleaner idea and wiping down the walls, steps and everything else with some old towels. My husband wants to drain completely just to be on the safe side. The insecticide he is concerned about is field applied at 6oz. per acre. Even though it was added in a diluted form, we don't want to take chances since we don't really know exactly how much went in the pool. I will send updates. I never thought anything like this would happen.:(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The patch held overnight, so that's a good sign. My face and arms are feeling back to normal. And really, I have all the moderators and other folks here at this site to say THANK YOU to! So, thank you, for my swimming pool knowledge. Several summers ago when I started my pool, all the people here at this site worked with me to help me get my pool in order. It's because of all of you that I pulled through this most recent situation without having a panic attack or relying on a pool store for advice. Fortunately, here in the Midwest water is cheap and patches are pretty reasonable, even at a pool store.

THANK YOU!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.