Pump primes slowly, then water stops as soon pressure get near normal - cycle repeats

Aug 11, 2016
Ottawa
Hi

Pump primes slowly. No water for a minute or more. Then chamber stays 1/4 full for a few more minutes with limited flow then finally fills. Within a second or so of filling the chamber, the water flow stops suddenly and completely. Cycle repeats. The pressure rises to within a few PSI of normal in the last few seconds as chamber fills.

This happens with filter set to filter, recycle,rinse and waste. Haven't tried backwash setting yet.

Pump is about 50 ft from skimmer. Its a 1.5 HP Hayward. I've had it for two months as replacement for the same model which was very old and loud.

No problems for the first few weeks. Then a couple of episodes as described above. Would turn off overnight and next day thing were working again

Been OK for a couple of weeks then today kid vacuumed the pool this morning. Sometime after Mom noticed there was no flow and turned off pump. No luck getting it to go this evening. Just cycles from no flow to full chamber and back.

What's going on?
thanks in advance
Dave

Dave,

I read your question yesterday and the first think that popped into my head was the skimmer door (Weir). But, I had assumed that if that were the case that the pump would suck in a lot of air and you did not say that happened.

So, just curious.. What kind of pump are you using? Single speed, Variable speed, is it new or old? What brand?

Just trying understand the issue in case we see it again.

Thanks and glad you found it,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.