Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump primes slowly, then water stops as soon pressure get near normal - cycle repeats

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump primes slowly, then water stops as soon pressure get near normal - cycle repeats

Hi

Pump primes slowly. No water for a minute or more. Then chamber stays 1/4 full for a few more minutes with limited flow then finally fills. Within a second or so of filling the chamber, the water flow stops suddenly and completely. Cycle repeats. The pressure rises to within a few PSI of normal in the last few seconds as chamber fills.

This happens with filter set to filter, recycle,rinse and waste. Haven't tried backwash setting yet.

Pump is about 50 ft from skimmer. Its a 1.5 HP Hayward. I've had it for two months as replacement for the same model which was very old and loud.

No problems for the first few weeks. Then a couple of episodes as described above. Would turn off overnight and next day thing were working again

Been OK for a couple of weeks then today kid vacuumed the pool this morning. Sometime after Mom noticed there was no flow and turned off pump. No luck getting it to go this evening. Just cycles from no flow to full chamber and back.

What's going on?
    thanks in advance
    Dave

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump primes slowly, then water stops as soon pressure get near normal - cycle rep

Doh... problem solved. Skimmer door was stuck.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump primes slowly, then water stops as soon pressure get near normal - cycle rep

Dave,

I read your question yesterday and the first think that popped into my head was the skimmer door (Weir). But, I had assumed that if that were the case that the pump would suck in a lot of air and you did not say that happened.

So, just curious.. What kind of pump are you using? Single speed, Variable speed, is it new or old? What brand?

Just trying understand the issue in case we see it again.

Thanks and glad you found it,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.