Help getting started with TFP and CYA with an Intex Pool

Eric.b

Aug 10, 2016
Penfield
I have a 15' by 42" Intex Ultra frame pool (4,600 gallons) with the little baby 1,000 gph filter. I had been using a flip 'n frog for two months successfully but just had to drain due to a bad algae bloom and am switching to TFP as I refill it tonight. I bought a Taylor k-2006 kit. I think it is more than I need but I'd rather have more than enough than not enough.

I drained it down to about two inches of water and scrubbed the liner with bleach earlier tonight. I added 121 oz of 8.25 bleach while I did my final scrubbing and that was mostly left in the pool when I started to refill but some did get drained out. The water is about 8 inches up now and looks really clear.

I know I'll need to add CYA, can I assume that there is none in my tap water?
Since I don't have a skimmer how should I add it?
Can I add now or do I have to wait until it's full?

Also, I cleaned all of the filter lines with a bleach bath and haven't done any tests yet, but am planning to test PH and Chlorine in the morning. Is there anything else I should be doing or checking?

Thanks in advance.

Calculate the amount of CYA you'll need via PoolMath, linked above. The put it in a long sock, (I used a Halloween leotard this year, ha ha.) and hang it on front of the return outlet. I used my cleaning pole to tie a shoestring to, and wedged it in between the frame and the liner. I'll see if I can find the picture in my Photobucket and post it soon. If you squeeze it often, it will dissolve quickly. You'll then add the proper amount of chlorine/bleach based on the amount of CYA you dosed to.

Edited to add photo:

Here it is. I used one of my husband's old work socks, without any holes, of course. Looks like the pool wasn't quit full, but the pump was able to be used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.