Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help getting started with TFP and CYA with an Intex Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help getting started with TFP and CYA with an Intex Pool

I have a 15' by 42" Intex Ultra frame pool (4,600 gallons) with the little baby 1,000 gph filter. I had been using a flip 'n frog for two months successfully but just had to drain due to a bad algae bloom and am switching to TFP as I refill it tonight. I bought a Taylor k-2006 kit. I think it is more than I need but I'd rather have more than enough than not enough.

I drained it down to about two inches of water and scrubbed the liner with bleach earlier tonight. I added 121 oz of 8.25 bleach while I did my final scrubbing and that was mostly left in the pool when I started to refill but some did get drained out. The water is about 8 inches up now and looks really clear.

I know I'll need to add CYA, can I assume that there is none in my tap water?
    Since I don't have a skimmer how should I add it?
    Can I add now or do I have to wait until it's full?

Also, I cleaned all of the filter lines with a bleach bath and haven't done any tests yet, but am planning to test PH and Chlorine in the morning. Is there anything else I should be doing or checking?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help getting started with TFP and CYA with an Intex Pool

Calculate the amount of CYA you'll need via PoolMath, linked above. The put it in a long sock, (I used a Halloween leotard this year, ha ha.) and hang it on front of the return outlet. I used my cleaning pole to tie a shoestring to, and wedged it in between the frame and the liner. I'll see if I can find the picture in my Photobucket and post it soon. If you squeeze it often, it will dissolve quickly. You'll then add the proper amount of chlorine/bleach based on the amount of CYA you dosed to.

Edited to add photo:

Here it is. I used one of my husband's old work socks, without any holes, of course. Looks like the pool wasn't quit full, but the pump was able to be used.

26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I just tied my sock to my pool
    ladder and have my hose running over it for now. I'll add switch to the return in the morning.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good deal. Btw, there will be no CYA in fill water.