Shock or Mustard Algae Shock?

gt6974a

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Acworth, GA
Pool has been great all summer using the TFP process. Last week we started getting brown/yellowish algae so we shocked for 3 days and passed the OCLT.

Yesterday, my sister saw a yellow spot and the pool was a little cloudy so we went ahead and shocked again thinking the algae had come back.

So, my question is, should I be doing a regular shock or mustard algae shock? We used to get mustard algae every August so it's no surprise if it's that.

see attached.

Attachments

• 20160811_134045.jpg
    20160811_134045.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 64
Uhmmm....well...we don't "shock" pools here at TFP. When necessary we do a process we call a SLAM. That means "Shock Level and Maintain". Its not a one time dose of anything. SLAM Process

If you have algae problems you've got chemistry problems.

Please get one of our recommended test kits and give us the most current:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Yip

Uhmmm....well...we don't "shock" pools here at TFP. When necessary we do a process we call a SLAM. That means "Shock Level and Maintain". Its not a one time dose of anything. SLAM Process

If you have algae problems you've got chemistry problems.

Please get one of our recommended test kits and give us the most current:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Yip

Yeah, SLAM, but the calculator does say 'Shock'. I slammed it last week, started again last night. Need to know the difference and when to use which one between TFP calculator 'shock' level and mustard algae 'shock' level when slamming.

TF-100 test kit

FC 27
CC. 0
pH. 7.5 before slamming
TA. 110
CH. Vinyl
CYA. 60

Based off my CYA I've been keeping the FC between 7 and 10

Hmmmm...that's a dilemma why you would have problems so quickly after a SLAM.

Have you been brushing the pool, both to insure good circulation of your chlorine to all points but also to disrupt any possible algae biofilm present? Does this algae appear in a particular area such as a shady spot?

When you did your SLAM, on that last day did you take your FC up to the mustard algae level for 24 hours before ending that SLAM? Did you wash off any toys that go in the pool to rid them off any algae?

Do you have a light niche that needs to be cleaned out behind- that's a common spot for algae to hide in.

Make sure you've also cleaned out any sources of algae. Underneath ladders, behind light fixtures, etc. If you think you got it all and you missed a "nest" of algae hiding inside/under/inside something, you're going to be SLAMing over and over until you find it and clean it out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.