Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock or Mustard Algae Shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock or Mustard Algae Shock?

Pool has been great all summer using the TFP process. Last week we started getting brown/yellowish algae so we shocked for 3 days and passed the OCLT.

Yesterday, my sister saw a yellow spot and the pool was a little cloudy so we went ahead and shocked again thinking the algae had come back.

So, my question is, should I be doing a regular shock or mustard algae shock? We used to get mustard algae every August so it's no surprise if it's that.

see attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~33000 gallon, IG, vinyl pool, 3 1/2 foot shallow with ~10 foot diving well built ~1985. Old Hayward side mount sand filter, with new Hayward Multiport SPX0710X32 replaced 5/2016. Pump and Motor replaced 5/2016 with Pentair WhisperFlo 3/4 HP Fluid End pump (WFE-3 part# 075452 Inyopools) and Century Centurion 3/4 HP motor, B2847. Leslie's simple test kit / taking sample to Leslie's, New Dolphin pool cleaner, No well, No Water restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock or Mustard Algae Shock?

Uhmmm....well...we don't "shock" pools here at TFP. When necessary we do a process we call a SLAM. That means "Shock Level and Maintain". Its not a one time dose of anything. SLAM

If you have algae problems you've got chemistry problems.

Please get one of our recommended test kits and give us the most current:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

THanks
    Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what YS says.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Uhmmm....well...we don't "shock" pools here at TFP. When necessary we do a process we call a SLAM. That means "Shock Level and Maintain". Its not a one time dose of anything. SLAM

If you have algae problems you've got chemistry problems.

Please get one of our recommended test kits and give us the most current:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

THanks
    Yip
    Yeah, SLAM, but the calculator does say 'Shock'. I slammed it last week, started again last night. Need to know the difference and when to use which one between TFP calculator 'shock' level and mustard algae 'shock' level when slamming.

TF-100 test kit

FC 27
    CC. 0
    pH. 7.5 before slamming
    TA. 110
    CH. Vinyl
    CYA. 60

Based off my CYA I've been keeping the FC between 7 and 10
    ~33000 gallon, IG, vinyl pool, 3 1/2 foot shallow with ~10 foot diving well built ~1985. Old Hayward side mount sand filter, with new Hayward Multiport SPX0710X32 replaced 5/2016. Pump and Motor replaced 5/2016 with Pentair WhisperFlo 3/4 HP Fluid End pump (WFE-3 part# 075452 Inyopools) and Century Centurion 3/4 HP motor, B2847. Leslie's simple test kit / taking sample to Leslie's, New Dolphin pool cleaner, No well, No Water restrictions

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmmmm...that's a dilemma why you would have problems so quickly after a SLAM.

Have you been brushing the pool, both to insure good circulation of your chlorine to all points but also to disrupt any possible algae biofilm present? Does this algae appear in a particular area such as a shady spot?

When you did your SLAM, on that last day did you take your FC up to the mustard algae level for 24 hours before ending that SLAM? Did you wash off any toys that go in the pool to rid them off any algae?

Do you have a light niche that needs to be cleaned out behind- that's a common spot for algae to hide in.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Skippy touched on an important point - the Mustard SLAM level is only for a 24 hour period. You don't want to maintain that higher level for the entire SLAM.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
    Skippy touched on an important point - the Mustard SLAM level is only for a 24 hour period. You don't want to maintain that higher level for the entire SLAM.
    Yep, I did everything but the last 24 hour period, so maybe that was my issue. Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Make sure you've also cleaned out any sources of algae. Underneath ladders, behind light fixtures, etc. If you think you got it all and you missed a "nest" of algae hiding inside/under/inside something, you're going to be SLAMing over and over until you find it and clean it out!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D