Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA accuracy question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA accuracy question

Hey all,

The Taylor's CYA test sucks. However, best I can tell it was 30. So, I go to the pool store and they get 11. Are pool stores accurate for the CYA test? I'm really in a pickle, as I maintained my pool at 5ppm a couple weeks ago and got algae (cloudy) anyway. I can't seem to get a good CYA number.

Thoughts?
    AG pool is a 7,500, 200# sand filter, 2 speed pump and Taylor kit,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA accuracy question

No, pool stores and test strips are vastly worse than the Taylor cya test. I would trust your cya test results with a Taylor kit 1000 times more than a pool store test. We've seen variations of well over 100 from one store to the next. And test strips are give or take 50 on their best day. If you see 30 then use 30 as your cya number. If in doubt then round up to 40 and keep 1 more ppm of FC in your pool. Adding an extra 1 or 2 ppm of FC won't hurt a thing. What is important is to never go below minimum for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart. When FC drops below minimum the kill rate for bacteria, viruses and pathogens is not fast enough to insure prevention of person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I would agree. The Taylor kits provide the best CYA test available for residential DIY'ers. Once you've established some history you'll gain trust in the results. Stay away from the pool stores except for parts etc. Their reason for being is to sell chemicals, most of which, you don't need. (I have a shed full of them)
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, guys! I'll keep twisting my eyes in knots looking for the dot LOL.

I thought their numbers were weird! I was like, "this is really holding chlorine well for 11!". Solves that one.
    AG pool is a 7,500, 200# sand filter, 2 speed pump and Taylor kit,

5. Back To Top    #5

One bit of advice I got that really helped me was in addition to following the instructions exactly when you do the test, but instead of stressing yourself out trying to see that dot, do the glance test. In other words look away and look at it again and if you don't see the dot right away without really focusing hard to see it, call it good. I have did this and then poured the water sample back into the container and used the same water and did the test over and over again until I get similar results. This works for me. If you test the same water a few times and get the same result, you're probably very close.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma