How to connect Actuator without Automation

IrwinK

Apr 25, 2016
Orlando, FL
My PB has one last thing to do and my pool will be finished.
I finally got him to connect the deck jets to the feature pump where I wanted them.

He installed a 2 way Jandy Valve in the plumbing going to the sheer waterfalls and it worked ok.
Then he installed a Pentair CVA24 Actuator but electrician could not wire it.

I do not have Automation. What I do have Intermatic Multiwave. It has switches controlled with a remote control or on the unit.
Intermatic had electrician install an expensive add on board that did not work.

I told the electrician to get a 24v transformer to switch the actuator on and off.
But from more research I see that it will need more than that as there are 2 circuits in the Actuator for clockwise and counter clockwise movement.

I'm not much of an electrician but sent the email below to the PB.
Anyone have some experience, info or ideas? Thanks.

"Please let the electrician know that besides the 24v transformer he may need a SPDT relay to complete the installation of the valve actuator.

http://www.electroschematics.com/9598/spdt-relay-switch/

I can’t find a wiring diagram for the Pentair CVA24 Actuator but here is the diagram for the Intermatic Actuator which is similar:

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/i...sories/valve_actuator/pe24va_instructions.pdf

Also please tell him I would prefer a 2 way non Pentair Actuator such as the Jandy or Intermatic.

I was told I could operate the valve manually without power and this can’t be done with the Pentair without removing the actuator."

I believe all actuators (at least the ones I have seen) have mechanical switches on them. Is this yours? On the back is the switch.

Pentair 263045 CVA24T Valve Actuator, 24VAC, for 3-Way Valves

Also please tell him I would prefer a 2 way non Pentair Actuator such as the Jandy or Intermatic.
All actuators are 2 way with three wire so I am not sure what you mean by this?

Yes that is the actuator I have. It is for 3-way valves and has 3 wires.
It fit and is now mounted on a 2-way Jandy Valve. I believe there are versions for 2-way valves, but it still should work if the cam limits are adjusted.

My main problem is the wiring.

All the actuators that I have seen work with both 2-way and 3-way valves valves. What would be the advantage of a 2-way only?

2 way or 3 way valves should work with the Pentair Actuator the PB supplied, just a matter of adjusting the stops.

Not happy with the Pentair Actuators because the valve can't be moved without removing the actuator. Other brands can turn the valve by hand. But this is a minor inconvenience. If the Actuator works I won't need manual operation.

Again hoping someone familiar with these actuators can help me with the wiring with no automation.
The PB and Electrician have been stalling with this for months.

Does the Intermatic support SPDT relays? Most controllers like that don't which is probably why they have been struggling. One way around it might be to use a separate 120v SPDT relay so the controller can switch that relay with one of it's own relays.

Intermatic support was no help to the Electrician. All they did was say to use their add on $200 P4043ME expansion Module which not only didn't work but would not fit in the connection box.

The Electrician agreed with me that he would get a 24 volt transformer and connect the Actuator to it via switched connection #3
But I didn't realize it needs a separate SPDT relay too. I thought the Actuator had this built in but all it has is a 3 position switch on the bottom of the unit and the limit switches inside. Electrician should have know this as he has done many pools.

Will wait to hear from the PB & the Electrician to come up with a solution. The pool is finished. Got the CO and PB will want his final payment. Maybe I'll just use the valve to turn on the Deck Jets manually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.