Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rio Olympics Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Rio Olympics Algae

So what does everyone think happened that allowed the RIO olympic's diver, and now the water polo pool's to turn deep green with algae overnight! They are over treating the pools with so much chlorine the polo players are complaining they can't open their eyes

Doesn't it seem weird that pool's of that size could turn a deep cloudy green overnight?
    17.5k gallon IG plaster ~ 1st time pool owner ~ Resurface & Fill Completed 06/2015
    Pentair SWG 3200 ~ FNSplus Vertical Grid D.E Filter ~ Pentair Intelliflo variable speed ~ Purex Triton Minimax Plus 400 Heater (Propane)
    ~ Aquabot Turbo T-Jet Robotic Pool Cleaner~
    Test Kits: TF-100 kit & K-1766 Salt Drop Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rio Olympics Algae

No, it was caused by wind and baking soda, according to experts.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    No, it was caused by wind and baking soda, according to experts.
    Do you think that's actually what caused it???! Baking soda??

I know the heat is making it worse, and it's a lot hotter in RIO than southern california but come on...isn't there full time staff taking care of that? lol
    17.5k gallon IG plaster ~ 1st time pool owner ~ Resurface & Fill Completed 06/2015
    Pentair SWG 3200 ~ FNSplus Vertical Grid D.E Filter ~ Pentair Intelliflo variable speed ~ Purex Triton Minimax Plus 400 Heater (Propane)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoeadventures View Post
    I know the heat is making it worse, and it's a lot hotter in RIO than southern california but come on...isn't there full time staff taking care of that? lol
    It isn't that hot in Rio as it is winter there at this time of year. It is actually a lot warmer here in Toronto than it is in Rio. High today in Rio was 24C which is 76F.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

"Nope, the green tone seen was due to a proliferation of algae, the organizing body said. The algae bloomed because of heat and lack of wind, it said."

And all this time I've been following TFP and using chlorine when all I need is a big fan and some ice !!
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, right, lack of wind. My bad.

Yes, not that hot. It was 72 and rainy in Rio yesterday. One article said it was from high alkalinity. Hence baking soda.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

The diving pool actually went green on Tuesday and the adjacent water polo pool on Wednesday. The pool used for swimming is indoors and is fine - at least so far.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

8. Back To Top    #8

Not really. Ryan Lochte's hair turned green.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

9. Back To Top    #9

Must have copper in the water. Maybe they are using a mineral system so they don't have to use as much chlorine....

That really worked out well for them if that's the case...
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    And all this time I've been following TFP and using chlorine when all I need is a big fan and some ice !!
    hahahah right?!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sad that one of the test kits could diagnose their issue in minutes and would have them fixing it in no time. But if there is that much algae in there, it will be a while to get it all filtered out. I don't know how they thought it would be nice and blue and clear in one day.

Summer waves AG, 4800 gallons approximately when to fill level, 18'x48" metal frame with vinyl liner pool. TF100 test kit ordered. Running on stock pump and cartridge filter. Running on city water.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Josun54 View Post
    Sad that one of the test kits could diagnose their issue in minutes and would have them fixing it in no time. But if there is that much algae in there, it will be a while to get it all filtered out. I don't know how they thought it would be nice and blue and clear in one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heard they were using test strips from two years ago...

13. Back To Top    #13

Thought I would have a look see what TFP members had to say about the situation. My husband suggested I look actually.
    You've said the same things I've told my husband of course.
    One would think that the Olympics "experts" would know how to take care of pools!

My husband and even our bug man who came today said I would have been all over it before it turned green

Sad. Just sad.
    JoanC--Rome, GA
    18.5 x 41 Grecian IG Vinyl--34,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T -Sand Filter - design flow rate 62GPM, Turnover 29,760 G/per 8hr
    1 HP-single speed pump motor. TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir
    Presume pool built with house 1989. Owner since 2002.

14. Back To Top    #14

It's really ridiculous that the IOC would allow that to happen. All they had to do was post some numbers here and we all could have helped.
    Central Md. 37 X 21 24K IG Custom Gunite with Anvil Quartz finish. Raised Spa.
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.
    Pentair 1.5 Hp Variable Speed Pump. TF100. Dolphin Z-5. First swim 5/26/16