CYA ????

Hapiee

Jul 12, 2015
Chesterfield, VA
Small, 3,500 gal Intex above ground pool. CYA is 88ppm and pool store told me to drain and refill. Hubby says it's not necessary to do that and it won't hurt us. I shocked the pool in the early am before the sun got bright then took a sample in to have it checked. Pool store clerk says it's to out of balance to test until the shock gets to work but that at 88 ppm I need to drain some water and refill.:eek:

We changed out the cartridge filter to a Hayward sand filter this season.

Last edited:
Think of cya as a chlorine retarder. It binds a certain amount to use later, so even though your test results might say your FC is adequate, or even high, you can still have an algea bloom. I have always kept mine at 50 ppm, once this summer mine got to ~70ppm, and I started chasing cloudy and green-tinged water. To know what you would need to drain, divide what you want by what you have, then subtract from 100. To get to 50ppm, 50/88 = 57% - 100 = 43%. That would be a significant drain, so it would be cheaper for you to just refer to the CYA/Cholrine demand chart and put in the required level for your cya reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.