Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner - first next steps

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner - first next steps

Howdy. First post warning. I've read lots of posts, many of which are still Greek to me. And now I'd love to have some expert advice. I shocked the pool with the last of my old bag shock (cal hypo) about 2 weeks ago. A few days later, it started getting cloudy and is turning green now.

I was unsure of my test kit results so I had a water sample tested at Leslie's pools this Am. Here are my current standings.

FAC 10
    TAC 10
    CH. 250
    CYA 200
    TA 120
    pH 7.8
    Tot diss solid 450
    phosph. 300

photo of green pool is attached.

Next steps? Partial Drain and refill to lower CYA to get chlorine working?

image.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner - first next steps

Welcome aboard!

First, don't trust Pool $tore readings. Use the appropriate kit and test yourself.

If your CYA is that high, then you do need to drain the pool. Here is a link showing the CYA level you want. But wait until you have your test kit and can confirm the CYA is that high.

Post your levels when you get your kit.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

3. Back To Top    #3

Your pool looks like it is ready to host the Olympics diving competition - congratulations!
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

4. Back To Top    #4

DO NOT USE ANY POOL STORE CHEMICALS. We need additional info such as pool size, what kind of pump, filter, other add-ons. We call this adding a "signature" to your post. Until you have a good test kit, it's hard to guess what may be going on. SLAM is based on adding chlorine bleach according to your CYA (stabilizer). Since we can't trust pool store analysis, hard to guess numbers.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure why my signature didn't show up on the first post. I filled it out earlier. I'll get a test kit and check cya, I suppose.

25000 gal, plaster, pool pump pentair challenger CHII-N1-1 / centurion motor 1.5 HP; sand filter Purex triton tagulus TA-50/50d; Polaris PB4-60 booster pump; on city water.
    22000 gal, plaster, pool pump pentair challenger CHII-N1-1 / centurion motor 1.5 HP; sand filter Purex triton tagulus TA-50/50d; Polaris PB4-60 booster pump; on city water.

6. Back To Top    #6

Remember, all test kits are not created equal. You can't get the recommended kit at Walmart, for instance. I know you can get the Taylor K-2006 at Amazon.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    Your pool looks like it is ready to host the Olympics diving competition - congratulations!
    Ouch! But funny.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. Taylor k2006 test kit received. Here is what I got as results.

3.5 ppm free chlorine
    0-.5 (?) ppm combined chlorine
    8+ ph (5 drops acid demand)
    16 ppm total alkalinity
    38-40 ppm calcium hardness
    Cya well over 100, off the charts, likely 160+ based on scale

Pool is now a full on nasty green. Have had lots of rain in past week also.

Suggested next steps?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Sorry, but you're going to need to drain and refill about 80% of your water to get that CYA down before you can do much else.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm going to do a partial drain. And then I'm going to change the sand in the filter after i SLAM the pool.

Or should I change the sand prior to slamming?
    22000 gal, plaster, pool pump pentair challenger CHII-N1-1 / centurion motor 1.5 HP; sand filter Purex triton tagulus TA-50/50d; Polaris PB4-60 booster pump; on city water.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Replacing sand is seldom necessary. New sand is already millions of years old. It doesn't wear out.

Sometimes deep cleaning is necessary, but green water isn't a symptom of a filtration problem, it's a chemical problem due to insufficient chlorine relative to your CYA level.

Concentrate on getting the algae killed first by dropping your CYA and raising your FC. Then after that, if the water remains blue but cloudy, we can deal with the filtration.

Surprisingly, slightly dirty sand filters better than clean sand. That's why many of us add D.E. to our sand filters, ie. to "clog" them up a little bit.

Is this a new or old pool?
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

12. Back To Top    #12

Old pool. I'll do a partial drain and refill this week. Then slam. Will report back with results. Thanks for your help.

13. Back To Top    #13

Late late reply. I got the pool looking great after a 3/4 drain and refill to get the CYA levels down. Liquid bleach from there and we had a great summer this past year. Thanks for your help, all.

14. Back To Top    #14

That is an awesome update! So glad to hear the drain and refill along with testing helped!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit