Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowest safe temporary pH (for lowering TA)?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowest safe temporary pH (for lowering TA)?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to lower my TA (it's well above 200) so that I can add borates. What's the lowest I can let my pH go temporarily? I saw another thread where someone mentioned their pool was around 4 pH, and no one was freaking out in the responses
    iirc the calculator suggested something like 10 bottles of muriatic acid.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Filled 5/1/2013! 36k gallon 20x40 IG with 7x7 spa, FinestFinish, AquaMatic cover, All Pentair: Clean&Clear 520 sqft cartridge filter, Intelliflow 4x160 variable speed pump, 2 HP whisper flow spa jet pump, 400k BTU MasterTemp heater, Letro Platinum pool cleaner, Rainbow 320 chlorine feeder, Pac Fab Bermuda skimmer
    More details: pics-new-pb-20x40-ig-gunite-7x7-spa-7x7-shamu-shelf-t54952.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowest safe temporary pH (for lowering TA)?

You can safely lower it to 7.0 and then use aeration to raise it back up to 7.8, then repeat.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Do not go to 4...go the 7.0 in the procedure and stick with that. You should find it drops fairly quickly (actually cause pH will still rise fast with aeration with high TA) at first then slows later in the process. Aggressive aeration is the single fastest controllable action to hasten it. Other's have noted to add MA at 7.5 rather than waiting until pH hits 7.8 for a couple of reasons. I don't any down side sans using less MA each time.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

i took mine to 60 from 150 in about a week while being lazy. dump in half gallon of acid, turn on the overflows and fountains overnight. it hit 90 fast, and then stayed there for days.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

5. Back To Top    #5

By the way, here are my TF-100 readings as of this morning:
    Fc 2.0
    Cc 0
    Ph 7.3
    Cya 30
    Ta 220
    Ch 300? (when I stop swirling, the individual dots look dark blue, but while swirling, it still looks red - are my reagents too old? [3 years])
    Filled 5/1/2013! 36k gallon 20x40 IG with 7x7 spa, FinestFinish, AquaMatic cover, All Pentair: Clean&Clear 520 sqft cartridge filter, Intelliflow 4x160 variable speed pump, 2 HP whisper flow spa jet pump, 400k BTU MasterTemp heater, Letro Platinum pool cleaner, Rainbow 320 chlorine feeder, Pac Fab Bermuda skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

3 years is way too old for reagents, even if stored well.

Get that FC up for the day!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, I poured a jug in this morning before I left for work