Is water truck delivery required after plaster?

Jun 11, 2014
Philly, PA
Hi,

I am about to get my pool replastered and the contractor told me that I had to get the pool filled by a water company. I called a few places and they said I would need about 4 or 5 trucks of water for around $1,000. I wanted to know was it some reason I couldn't fill off my house hose? I remember filling the pool last year from almost empty and it took me a little over 28 hours to fill.

Thanks,

Run a full test of your fill water and see if there is anything "bad" in it. If not there is really no reason to not use hoses. Just make sure you keep the water flowing so it does not stop and cause a line in the plaster. So long as it is going in you are good.

BUT make sure he does not hold your warranty over you head for this. :(

:hug:

It costs me $180 dollars to fill my 20k pool and about 24 hours using two hoses. We have a lot of water up here in the Midwest from the great lakes which don't have any metals :D

I checked with my local county and there are not issues with me filling from a hose. The person doing the plaster said they can't be held liable if the shell cracks by me not filling the pool with water trucks. Also I'm wondering if it is normal to have a plaster warranty for labor only? The plaster guy said that is the normal warranty on plaster jobs is the labor.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I do know about my water supply is the PH is around 8.2 and it is hard water. Not sure of that makes any difference when doing a replaster due to the water trucking companies stating they are delivering water that is drinking water from my area.

Yes, it ia normal for the installer to warranty their labor. Are they worried about the hose being too slow? The materials warranty for plaster will come from the manufacturer, Pebbletec, Wet Edge, NPT, etc. The PH can be adjusted after it is filled.

Thanks. I think it might be he was looking to hurry and get the job done. His response to me was water trucks are needed so there are no cracks from the heat. I know for certain my hose can put out at least 10k gallons in about 12 hours.

One thing that I have done is to run a hose from my neighbor's house and pay him/her for the water. That should halve the filling time.

Yeah, he is either in a hurry or knows the water truck guy. :) I'm pretty sure it isn't quite as hot in Philly as it is in TX and AZ and we fill our pools with hoses! It was over 100 degrees when my pool was filled with a hose. Actually, 2 hoses. Two hoses are faster than one, even from the same house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lol. I have a bad feeling about this guy but it's frustrating because I've had 5 pool remodel people out. 2 didn't want to do the plaster remodel because of a crack I needed repaired. The other 3, the first this guy is charging the highest on the diamond Brite $7,700 but only $500 for the crack repair. The other two wanted $2,000 and $3,500 for the crack repairs but was $1,800 less on the plaster job.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is he is trying to recoup some of the money by referral on the water delivery.

Imxe, if your water is hard, why not compromise and fill with 1 or 2 loads at half the cost, then finish with hoses. Your ph is going to ride high after the new plaster and maybe doing a combo fill would help you control hardness/TA. Ask for reading on the trucked water parameters, though, because many if not most haulers get their water from the plant.

Imxe, if your water is hard, why not compromise and fill with 1 or 2 loads at half the cost, then finish with hoses. Your ph is going to ride high after the new plaster and maybe doing a combo fill would help you control hardness/TA. Ask for reading on the trucked water parameters, though, because many if not most haulers get their water from the plant.

Thanks. I checked with a few water delivery companies and most of them stated whatever tap water I get now is what will be delivered to me. One company said I could buy pre-treated water from them but it was at almost double the cost of the municipal water delivery.

Thanks. I checked with a few water delivery companies and most of them stated whatever tap water I get now is what will be delivered to me. One company said I could buy pre-treated water from them but it was at almost double the cost of the municipal water delivery.

We had a replaster last year and filled with Chicago tap water (contains less than 1ppm 1920's bootlegger). The plaster guy also took care of the chems but even if he didn't I wouldn't have bothered with "special" water.

Also get ahold of municipal water supply of you go hose route. They might credit your sewer bill for gallons used. Most cities just match city water usage to sewer usage and charge accordingly. Tell them hey I'm filling a xxK gallon pool and need a credit. It'll save a little coin.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

Are you within the city limits or suburbs?

I'm in montgomery county suburbs. Thankfully after my last post I was able to find a better plaster company that are just starting work today. They said it wasn't an issue to fill the pool up with the hose but to spray the walls down about three times a day if hot so it won't dry out. I might call my water company and see if they offer credits for me filling my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.