Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is water truck delivery required after plaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is water truck delivery required after plaster?

Hi,

I am about to get my pool replastered and the contractor told me that I had to get the pool filled by a water company. I called a few places and they said I would need about 4 or 5 trucks of water for around $1,000. I wanted to know was it some reason I couldn't fill off my house hose? I remember filling the pool last year from almost empty and it took me a little over 28 hours to fill.

Thanks,
    25k gal inground pool, concrete, Filter Jandy Dev48, Anthony pool pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is water truck delivery required after plaster?

Run a full test of your fill water and see if there is anything "bad" in it. If not there is really no reason to not use hoses. Just make sure you keep the water flowing so it does not stop and cause a line in the plaster. So long as it is going in you are good.

BUT make sure he does not hold your warranty over you head for this.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The only problem would be if your water contains metals. Two hoses are faster than one.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, check local ordinances. Perhaps there's some crazy local ordinance that necessitate the water truck.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

It costs me $180 dollars to fill my 20k pool and about 24 hours using two hoses. We have a lot of water up here in the Midwest from the great lakes which don't have any metals
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

I checked with my local county and there are not issues with me filling from a hose. The person doing the plaster said they can't be held liable if the shell cracks by me not filling the pool with water trucks. Also I'm wondering if it is normal to have a plaster warranty for labor only? The plaster guy said that is the normal warranty on plaster jobs is the labor.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I do know about my water supply is the PH is around 8.2 and it is hard water. Not sure of that makes any difference when doing a replaster due to the water trucking companies stating they are delivering water that is drinking water from my area.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it ia normal for the installer to warranty their labor. Are they worried about the hose being too slow? The materials warranty for plaster will come from the manufacturer, Pebbletec, Wet Edge, NPT, etc. The PH can be adjusted after it is filled.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I think it might be he was looking to hurry and get the job done. His response to me was water trucks are needed so there are no cracks from the heat. I know for certain my hose can put out at least 10k gallons in about 12 hours.

9. Back To Top    #9

One thing that I have done is to run a hose from my neighbor's house and pay him/her for the water. That should halve the filling time.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, he is either in a hurry or knows the water truck guy. I'm pretty sure it isn't quite as hot in Philly as it is in TX and AZ and we fill our pools with hoses! It was over 100 degrees when my pool was filled with a hose. Actually, 2 hoses. Two hoses are faster than one, even from the same house.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like the pool guy wants you to get hosed!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

12. Back To Top    #12

Lol. I have a bad feeling about this guy but it's frustrating because I've had 5 pool remodel people out. 2 didn't want to do the plaster remodel because of a crack I needed repaired. The other 3, the first this guy is charging the highest on the diamond Brite $7,700 but only $500 for the crack repair. The other two wanted $2,000 and $3,500 for the crack repairs but was $1,800 less on the plaster job.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is he is trying to recoup some of the money by referral on the water delivery.

13. Back To Top    #13

Imxe, if your water is hard, why not compromise and fill with 1 or 2 loads at half the cost, then finish with hoses. Your ph is going to ride high after the new plaster and maybe doing a combo fill would help you control hardness/TA. Ask for reading on the trucked water parameters, though, because many if not most haulers get their water from the plant.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Imxe, if your water is hard, why not compromise and fill with 1 or 2 loads at half the cost, then finish with hoses. Your ph is going to ride high after the new plaster and maybe doing a combo fill would help you control hardness/TA. Ask for reading on the trucked water parameters, though, because many if not most haulers get their water from the plant.
    Thanks. I checked with a few water delivery companies and most of them stated whatever tap water I get now is what will be delivered to me. One company said I could buy pre-treated water from them but it was at almost double the cost of the municipal water delivery.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Imxelite View Post
    Thanks. I checked with a few water delivery companies and most of them stated whatever tap water I get now is what will be delivered to me. One company said I could buy pre-treated water from them but it was at almost double the cost of the municipal water delivery.
    We had a replaster last year and filled with Chicago tap water (contains less than 1ppm 1920's bootlegger). The plaster guy also took care of the chems but even if he didn't I wouldn't have bothered with "special" water.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

Also get ahold of municipal water supply of you go hose route. They might credit your sewer bill for gallons used. Most cities just match city water usage to sewer usage and charge accordingly. Tell them hey I'm filling a xxK gallon pool and need a credit. It'll save a little coin.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

17. Back To Top    #17

Are you within the city limits or suburbs?
    To be built Spring 2016. 750 sq foot gunite free form. Raised spa with spillover and dedicated pump, 16 foot fiberglass slide built into hill with bolder steps, approx 1,000 sq foot stamped concrete deck, Pentair VS+SVRS pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 btu gas heater, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Pentair Intellichem, Pentair Easytouch, Rapids 4WD pool cleaner, 2 LED Intellibrite lights.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Mam262 View Post
    Are you within the city limits or suburbs?
    I'm in montgomery county suburbs. Thankfully after my last post I was able to find a better plaster company that are just starting work today. They said it wasn't an issue to fill the pool up with the hose but to spray the walls down about three times a day if hot so it won't dry out. I might call my water company and see if they offer credits for me filling my pool.