Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can (or should) I use a copperalgaecide?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can (or should) I use a copperalgaecide?

I typically use a 60% Concentrated poly-quat from Kemtek for two occasions: (1) during spring startup and (2) after heavy rains add several inches of water during the season. Otherwise, the TFPool method and test kit keep my water clear and safe.
    I use the 60% algaecide after rains just to "help" the chemicals keep green stuff from starting. I usually add 8 oz. total for the 35K gallons.
    I erred in my last order of algaecide thru the mail and didn't read the ingredient info on the webpage. I thought InTheSwim super algaecide on sale was the same 60% poly-quat I had ordered from Kemtek. However, the InThe Swim super algaecide contains 23.5% copper triethannolamine complex as the only active ingredient.
    My question is: can I safely use this copper-based algaecide instead of the poly-quat type for my maintenance after rains?
    Or, should I just keep it on-hand for major problems and stick with the poly-quat?

My greatest concern is water safety for my two grandkids (ages 6 and 2) and their friends.
    My vinyl liner is way over 12 yrs old and has been bleached white (except for several winter stains) and I'm not concerned about copper staining.
    Thank you.
    Craig Heller
    SIZE: 20 ft x 40 ft rectangle; 42in- 8ft; 35K gals IG; Install '75; new vinyl liner '97 (liner now bleached white); 1 bottom drain & 2 skimmers (added 1997); MOTOR: 1 HP 1-speed (replaced 1999); FILTER: Hayward Sand Model S-244T (new 2003); VALVE: Hayward Model SP-714-T1 Vari-Flow (new 2012); PUMP: Pentair Challenger Hi-Head ('75); SANITIZER: liquid chlorine bleach - converted to Trouble Free Pool 2013; Dolphin 2000 Robot cleaner (2003)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can (or should) I use a copperalgaecide?

Stay away from the copper.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

3. Back To Top    #3

What VinDeeLoo says. Nope, don't use it. Keep FC, CYA, and pH (using liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and stabilizer as indicated) within recommended ranges and you'll have it nearly 100% licked.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

4. Back To Top    #4

Algae is not a safety or health concern for people swimming. What is important is sanitation. For a pool to be safe and sanitary the FC must be maintained above minimum for your CYA at all times, FC/CYA Chart. When FC drops below minimum bacteria, viruses and pathogens are not killed fast enough to insure the prevention of person to person disease transmission. Especially in kids. Algae is sort of the canary in the coal mine. If algae can grow then so can bacteria.

Copper algaecides are perfectly safe for humans. Copper will accumulate and stain the pool, water, hair, fingernails and dogs. And it will not do anything to sanitize the pool and make it safe for the kiddos. Neither will polyquat 60.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

A big thank you to all advisors. ceh.
    SIZE: 20 ft x 40 ft rectangle; 42in- 8ft; 35K gals IG; Install '75; new vinyl liner '97 (liner now bleached white); 1 bottom drain & 2 skimmers (added 1997); MOTOR: 1 HP 1-speed (replaced 1999); FILTER: Hayward Sand Model S-244T (new 2003); VALVE: Hayward Model SP-714-T1 Vari-Flow (new 2012); PUMP: Pentair Challenger Hi-Head ('75); SANITIZER: liquid chlorine bleach - converted to Trouble Free Pool 2013; Dolphin 2000 Robot cleaner (2003)