Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG constantly calcifying

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG constantly calcifying

This is our 2nd year with our SWG. The first year we had zero problems. This year, I'm having to pour vinegar in it like every 4 days because it gets all this white stuff caked in there and then it tells us there is low salt. Is it normal for us to have to clean this thing so often? At this point, I'd rather just pour bleach in the pool every few days!
    Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG constantly calcifying

It is easy enough to prevent scaling in the pool and SWG. Do you have a good test kit like the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net Enter all your test results in PoolMath and it will give you a CSI score. Keep that number between- 0.3 and 0 to prevent scale. Tweak the PH and/or TA to adjust the number. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I had the same issue with Intex SWG. Just had to buy a new one. I think the self-cleaning function had failed on mine. My Intex SWG's always last just past the warranty period. Another poster has been able to get away with buying a new cell, but for $40 more I just get a new unit. It's still cheaper and easier than buying bleach.
    Good luck, maybe you can fix it with water chemistry.
    Please keep us posted!
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Mine does that whenever my pH gets too high.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

After cleaning the plates, swap the black cord polarity daily and you won't have to clean the plates nearly as often. Does require someone to do this daily or perhaps every other day.

6. Back To Top    #6

My ph is still a little on the higher side. Maybe that's the issue. Sound like I better add some MA.

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners