Intex pump, big sand filter... will it work...

Jun 14, 2015
Waycross, Ga
Just for those wondering, I hooked up an Intex 633T pump to a 24" Hayward S244T sand filter. Will it run it? Yep. Seems to have better flow thru the hayward than the stock type B cartridge filter. I removed the cartridge filter from the housing, and the pump just pumps through the empty housing then to the Hayward. This is a temporary setup until I can get a real pump, but it DOES seem to be working ok. The flow on backwash is strong as well. I will post a pic of the setup later. I still have to get my SWG back in-line.

Thanks for actually trying this, and for posting about your experience!

For others clicking in on your title, I'll link to a thread from a couple years ago, where I asked a question about doing something similar (same size Intex pump as you are using, into a somewhat smaller sand filter than the one you have hooked up):

is 1/2 hp pump too small for 18 sand filter?

The responses I got in that thread warned about potential problems, and it was generally an interesting and informative discussion.

You've added a useful data point to the forum by actually going ahead and trying such a combination.

It is working well so far. I figured I have nothing to lose by trying it. If the intex pump goes kaput, it'll just up my timetable for buying a real pump. Took me about a month to find a reasonable priced used sand filter, just haven't found the right used pump yet. I can testify that there is stronger flow through the system now. Of course my sand is new, so flow is maximum right now I'm sure. I haven't had it running but a day or two, but I backwashed a few mins today and the backwash water was slightly dirty, and it cleaned right up so it is working and able to backwash. I'm pleased with it, I'm going to just run it until I locate a pump, or until the intex dies.

One thing- I am feeding the intex pump all the water it can take through both a widemouth skimmer plumbed with 1 1/2" pvc and both 1 1/4" inlets Tee'd in. I have a hayward outlet eye feeding into the pool. I'm getting reasonably strong circular circulation in the pool.

One thing that I think probably kills quite a few intex pumps is there is a molded on plastic 'grate' right at the inlet fitting to the pump that will clog with trash that gets by the skimmer basket. My wife and daughter have long hair- I have noticed lower than normal flow on occasion and had to disconnect the pump inlet and clear the hair and debris from that area a few times since originally getting the pool running a couple months ago. If neglected long term, I'm sure that would not be good for the pump.

I did try a skimmer sock, but the flow kept sucking it down into the pvc no matter how I affixed it.

Just a quick update- intex pump and the big sand filter is still doing it's job. No issues through the winter other than the occasional clogging of the intex pump inlet as mentioned before. I kept the pool running through the winter. I have had several algae outbreaks and slams- mainly due to trips/vacations or neglecting to stay on top of it. The intex pump is tougher than I thought it would be. Just gonna run it til it dies, or until I find the right deal on a real pool pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.