Pressure relief valve automatic - search

iom

May 30, 2012
Tempe, AZ
I would like to install after the pump an automatic pressure relief valve; up to 50 psig.
Ideal would probably be an add on to the water pipe, or mounted on the sand filter where a manual air vent is.

I have a nightmare scenario:
Installation has a flap water flow valve that has inside relays under full line voltage. If the seal is blown - water + electricity will do ugly things.
If the line to the pool is obstructed (e.g. closed valves) the pump may create pressure that may blow a lot -- water seals in the electric valve or explode something else.
The least damage is that the flow valve needs replacement - the most is somebody gets killed - as unfortunately most dealers install pumps and equipment without GFI circuit breakers.
Any suggestions what automatic pressure relief valve to buy that would be relative easy to install.

Typical residential pool pumps can't even come close to generating 50psig pressure. As well the operating pressure and required minimum burst pressure of SCH40 PVC is a lot higher than that (see here - PVC Pipes - Pressure Ratings). I'm not sure your fears, other than the electrical ones, are well founded. As for the electrical problem, something doesn't sound right with the valve that you describe. I have hard time believing that a valve with full 120VAC line voltage would be allowed to be used in a pool system where the line voltage could easily be exposed to the water stream.

We definitely need to see pictures of what you have here with equipment specs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.