The push towards a robot vs suction cleaner

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So I have a Zodiac Mx6 that I have not used, it came with the build. I am considering purchasing a robot for a couple reasons:

1. I don't want to deal with setting up a suction side cleaner every week.
2. I don't want to leave it set up in the pool.
3. Additional cost to run the pump at a higher RPM to run the cleaner.
4. Increasing the frequency of cleaning my filter.
5. Now not sure this is going to be an issue, but I was looking at the bottom of the MX6, it has a plastic propeller that spins to create the suction, there is no shield over this propeller, seems to me that when this runs over the bottom main drains there is not going to be adequate clearance and they propeller will hit the main drains. Not sure if this is a real world issue but it seems to me that over time this will chew up the propeller and or the plastic on the edges of the main drains, which in my case have pebble plaster in them.

The robots seem to have a soft rubber brush cleaner on the bottom of them. Am I correct on my assumptions? If so I think I will just purchase the robot and try to sell the Mx6 on craigslist or ebay.

Also, for those of you with a robot, is there a need for a 1hr, 2hr, and 2.5 hr cycle or the Bluetooth, or caddy? I can't see the need for Bluetooth control, isn't the point of these to be drop in an forget?

thanks!

I think you posts are mostly valid (not sure about 5 though).

I would point out that while you may not say you want to leave the cleaner in the pool, there is no issue doing so with a suction cleaner. Whereas I do not think the robots are designed (at least not the ones I had prior to switching to a suction cleaner) to be left in the pool. So the robot can end up requiring more in/out of the pool.

I do think the robots I had kept the pool a little cleaner and since going to the suction cleaner, my filter does seem to fill up quicker ... although some of that could be due to slacking on the chemistry :mrgreen:

A robot is the way for the reasons you mentioned.

As for the needs of the robot to have all those options, no they are not required, but they do enhance the features of the robot.

With my cleaner Buetooth is required to access the extra functions the cleaner has. There are several functions that I use such as the remote control driving and the different cleaning cycles. There are tile cleaning, staying on the floor, and a slow deep clean cycle options. I would recommend a caddy as it gives the robot a place to be set down without damaging the brushes and it is easier to carry to the pool.

Thanks I was not going to leave the robot in the pool either, but the I don't like the look of the suction line and cleaners in the pool all the time. I also don't like the idea of having to lug all the hose out and disconnect everything, perhaps I am jumping the gun but that seems like it would get old really fast. The robot seems to be a drop it in for a couple hours and pull it out.

- - - Updated - - -

A robot is the way for the reasons you mentioned.

As for the needs of the robot to have all those options, no they are not required, but they do enhance the features of the robot.

With my cleaner Buetooth is required to access the extra functions the cleaner has. There are several functions that I use such as the remote control driving and the different cleaning cycles. There are tile cleaning, staying on the floor, and a slow deep clean cycle options. I would recommend a caddy as it gives the robot a place to be set down without damaging the brushes and it is easier to carry to the pool.

I notice you have the s300i, will this climb your stairs or on a Baja shelf?

It does clean them from what Ive seen but it doesn't get them spotless. This is when I like to use the remote driving function on my phone.

The shelf is 12" deep which allows the cleaner to be submerged without sucking in air and it does a better job on the shelf than the narrow steps. When the cleaner starts sucking in air it goes into the tile line cleaning mode just to let you know if your shelf isn't that deep.

I notice you have the s300i, will this climb your stairs or on a Baja shelf?

I have the S300 and while it conceivably can climb stairs, geometry/configuration is a limitation. The unit needs to grab onto something for traction and a standard 7-8" step s simply too small for the robot's footprint, so it tries to climb but falters. No autonomous cleaner will work well with standard stairs.

thanks, I have a 18" deep shelf that is 9FTx14FT, my steps are non-traditional, I will post photo.

BAFD26CE-FFF1-4923-AB6C-58494018AE02_zpsi5ro6zla.jpg

We have the Dolphin M400 and love it. We do have the caddy, which I think is a must. It doesn't clean our stairs, I just brush those well. Our model doesn't have bluetooth and I don't see a need for it. I just drop it in and hit the power button and it does it's thing. Couple hours later get it out and wash out the filters and that's it. Our PB did suggest "switching" the handle each time we pull it out so it doesn't develop a "memory" and get in a cleaning rut. No idea what that exactly means, but the robot is awesome! Not a spec of anything in the pool when it's finished. Cleans the waterline nicely too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While I agree you can drop it and leave it for a few hours and then pull it out don't underestimate the hassle of having to clean it out depending on the type you get. The ones with bags can be quite messy and annoying to clean.

I believe that most of them are supposed to be cleaned as soon as you pull them out of the pool and not let the debris dry in the filter mechanism.

While I agree you can drop it and leave it for a few hours and then pull it out don't underestimate the hassle of having to clean it out depending on the type you get. The ones with bags can be quite messy and annoying to clean.

I believe that most of them are supposed to be cleaned as soon as you pull them out of the pool and not let the debris dry in the filter mechanism.

Go to the 1:35 mark on the video to see the advantage of the S-series basket. Literally cleans in seconds:

Dolphin S-series - quick user guide - YouTube

Right now I am deciding on the Doheny model for $719 vs the Maytronics version @ $860 tax included. Or the s300. Not sure the caddy and blue tooth are really needed? I guess I can just place the power supply on the ground.

Is there a need for a 1 hour program or is the 2 -2 1/2 hour program all I really need? Without ever using one, I just want to get some real world user feedback before dropping the $$.

The caddy looks to be pretty short, and me being 6'3" it might just be easier to carry it and put it away?

thanks!

Right now I am deciding on the Doheny model for $719 vs the Maytronics version @ $860 tax included. Or the s300. Not sure the caddy and blue tooth are really needed? I guess I can just place the power supply on the ground.

Is there a need for a 1 hour program or is the 2 -2 1/2 hour program all I really need? Without ever using one, I just want to get some real world user feedback before dropping the $$.

The caddy looks to be pretty short, and me being 6'3" it might just be easier to carry it and put it away?

thanks!

The 1-hour program is floor-only. The caddy does 2 things, it keeps the power supply at a user-friendly level and it supports the robot without flattening the vanes on the rollers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.