Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The push towards a robot vs suction cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

The push towards a robot vs suction cleaner

So I have a Zodiac Mx6 that I have not used, it came with the build. I am considering purchasing a robot for a couple reasons:

1. I don't want to deal with setting up a suction side cleaner every week.
    2. I don't want to leave it set up in the pool.
    3. Additional cost to run the pump at a higher RPM to run the cleaner.
    4. Increasing the frequency of cleaning my filter.
    5. Now not sure this is going to be an issue, but I was looking at the bottom of the MX6, it has a plastic propeller that spins to create the suction, there is no shield over this propeller, seems to me that when this runs over the bottom main drains there is not going to be adequate clearance and they propeller will hit the main drains. Not sure if this is a real world issue but it seems to me that over time this will chew up the propeller and or the plastic on the edges of the main drains, which in my case have pebble plaster in them.

The robots seem to have a soft rubber brush cleaner on the bottom of them. Am I correct on my assumptions? If so I think I will just purchase the robot and try to sell the Mx6 on craigslist or ebay.

Also, for those of you with a robot, is there a need for a 1hr, 2hr, and 2.5 hr cycle or the Bluetooth, or caddy? I can't see the need for Bluetooth control, isn't the point of these to be drop in an forget?

thanks!
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The push towards a robot vs suction cleaner

I think you posts are mostly valid (not sure about 5 though).

I would point out that while you may not say you want to leave the cleaner in the pool, there is no issue doing so with a suction cleaner. Whereas I do not think the robots are designed (at least not the ones I had prior to switching to a suction cleaner) to be left in the pool. So the robot can end up requiring more in/out of the pool.

I do think the robots I had kept the pool a little cleaner and since going to the suction cleaner, my filter does seem to fill up quicker ... although some of that could be due to slacking on the chemistry
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

A robot is the way for the reasons you mentioned.

As for the needs of the robot to have all those options, no they are not required, but they do enhance the features of the robot.

With my cleaner Buetooth is required to access the extra functions the cleaner has. There are several functions that I use such as the remote control driving and the different cleaning cycles. There are tile cleaning, staying on the floor, and a slow deep clean cycle options. I would recommend a caddy as it gives the robot a place to be set down without damaging the brushes and it is easier to carry to the pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks I was not going to leave the robot in the pool either, but the I don't like the look of the suction line and cleaners in the pool all the time. I also don't like the idea of having to lug all the hose out and disconnect everything, perhaps I am jumping the gun but that seems like it would get old really fast. The robot seems to be a drop it in for a couple hours and pull it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    A robot is the way for the reasons you mentioned.

As for the needs of the robot to have all those options, no they are not required, but they do enhance the features of the robot.

With my cleaner Buetooth is required to access the extra functions the cleaner has. There are several functions that I use such as the remote control driving and the different cleaning cycles. There are tile cleaning, staying on the floor, and a slow deep clean cycle options. I would recommend a caddy as it gives the robot a place to be set down without damaging the brushes and it is easier to carry to the pool.
    I notice you have the s300i, will this climb your stairs or on a Baja shelf?
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

5. Back To Top    #5

It does clean them from what Ive seen but it doesn't get them spotless. This is when I like to use the remote driving function on my phone.

The shelf is 12" deep which allows the cleaner to be submerged without sucking in air and it does a better job on the shelf than the narrow steps. When the cleaner starts sucking in air it goes into the tile line cleaning mode just to let you know if your shelf isn't that deep.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Titan7 View Post
    I notice you have the s300i, will this climb your stairs or on a Baja shelf?
    I have the S300 and while it conceivably can climb stairs, geometry/configuration is a limitation. The unit needs to grab onto something for traction and a standard 7-8" step s simply too small for the robot's footprint, so it tries to climb but falters. No autonomous cleaner will work well with standard stairs.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks, I have a 18" deep shelf that is 9FTx14FT, my steps are non-traditional, I will post photo.

8. Back To Top    #8

Interesting. While I suspect you may have success with the Baja shelf, it won't work with the steps.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

9. Back To Top    #9

We have the Dolphin M400 and love it. We do have the caddy, which I think is a must. It doesn't clean our stairs, I just brush those well. Our model doesn't have bluetooth and I don't see a need for it. I just drop it in and hit the power button and it does it's thing. Couple hours later get it out and wash out the filters and that's it. Our PB did suggest "switching" the handle each time we pull it out so it doesn't develop a "memory" and get in a cleaning rut. No idea what that exactly means, but the robot is awesome! Not a spec of anything in the pool when it's finished. Cleans the waterline nicely too.
    Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

10. Back To Top    #10

The S-series and its counterparts forego the whole flotation-handle system in favor of thrusters which makes for a lighter unit as well as eliminating the need for any adjustments.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

11. Back To Top    #11

While I agree you can drop it and leave it for a few hours and then pull it out don't underestimate the hassle of having to clean it out depending on the type you get. The ones with bags can be quite messy and annoying to clean.

I believe that most of them are supposed to be cleaned as soon as you pull them out of the pool and not let the debris dry in the filter mechanism.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    While I agree you can drop it and leave it for a few hours and then pull it out don't underestimate the hassle of having to clean it out depending on the type you get. The ones with bags can be quite messy and annoying to clean.

I believe that most of them are supposed to be cleaned as soon as you pull them out of the pool and not let the debris dry in the filter mechanism.
    Go to the 1:35 mark on the video to see the advantage of the S-series basket. Literally cleans in seconds:

Dolphin S-series - quick user guide - YouTube
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

13. Back To Top    #13

Right now I am deciding on the Doheny model for $719 vs the Maytronics version @ $860 tax included. Or the s300. Not sure the caddy and blue tooth are really needed? I guess I can just place the power supply on the ground.

Is there a need for a 1 hour program or is the 2 -2 1/2 hour program all I really need? Without ever using one, I just want to get some real world user feedback before dropping the $$.

The caddy looks to be pretty short, and me being 6'3" it might just be easier to carry it and put it away?

thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

Speaking from first hand knowledge. Do not leave robotic cleaner in pool for extended periods. Let it do it's cycle and take it out. Water will seep in eventually destroying motor/controls.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Titan7 View Post
    Right now I am deciding on the Doheny model for $719 vs the Maytronics version @ $860 tax included. Or the s300. Not sure the caddy and blue tooth are really needed? I guess I can just place the power supply on the ground.

Is there a need for a 1 hour program or is the 2 -2 1/2 hour program all I really need? Without ever using one, I just want to get some real world user feedback before dropping the $$.

The caddy looks to be pretty short, and me being 6'3" it might just be easier to carry it and put it away?

thanks!
    The 1-hour program is floor-only. The caddy does 2 things, it keeps the power supply at a user-friendly level and it supports the robot without flattening the vanes on the rollers.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL