Light brown blotches on white plaster pool

Dec 15, 2015
Anaheim/ CA
Greetings. Finally time to drain and refill pool. However once drained I notices light brown blotches all over the pool that we never noticed when the pool was full. Any idea what they might be? Pool was replastered about 25 years ago and has been acid washed once. My son and I are planning on acid washing with a 3 to 1 solution this weekend to remove the few light blue copper stains. thanks

Attachments

• pool stains 1.jpg
    pool stains 1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 77
  • pool stains 2.jpg
    pool stains 2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 76
I'm going to preface this by saying that I know very little about this.

I will say, however, that I'd be careful with that plaster. Mine is about 18 years old, and I'd do everything I could just to leave it alone to prevent doing something that might force a full replaster in short order. If you don't notice it when the pool is full, personally, I'd just refill the pool and go on with life. Old plaster can be delicate, and leaving it dry in the heat right now is probably not a great idea either.

Are those spots raised and rough? Of so then they are calcium scale. 3 options for that

Drain and acid wash. Very aggressive, removes plaster and shortens the life of the plaster.

No drain acid bath, less aggressive. Here's how, The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment

Or you can put some dry acid in a sock and treat specific spots to dissolve the scale.

Or you can fill it up, lower the CSI to -0.8 to -0.9 and brush as often as you can and slowly get rid of the scale without hurting the plaster much. Use a stainless steel brush to help.

Then keep keep CSI- 0.3 to 0 to prevent scaling in the future. PoolMath will give you the number, tweak pH and TA to adjust it.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

I think the top surface of your plaster is gone in the brown areas. Don't know what else it could be.

It's past it's expected life and any acid treatment will make it worse. Any chlorine treatment will not make it worse but it will certainly not make it better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.