Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Arcing from pump motor wire.

1. Back To Top    #1

Arcing from pump motor wire.

I have a 1hp pool pump that was tripping the breaker so I opened up the cap and there was a bunch of white ashy crud inside. I brushed out the crud and with the cap off, turned the breaker back on. When I threw the switch, the pump fired right up but there was arcing at the blue wire where it connects to a plastic block with white and yellow wired attached. In the photo you can see where it burned itself off. I also see the burn mark inside the cap and that looks like the same area. For what itís worth, the ground wire didnít seem very well attached when I removed the power cord.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I can solder if that part is cooked.

IMG_5118.jpgIMG_5119.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Arcing from pump motor wire.

I would pull that board out and see what the connection is like on the other side. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but you may be able to bypass that connection point on that board. I am not sure where that wire is going to once it goes under that board
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Arcing from pump motor wire.

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    I would pull that board out and see what the connection is like on the other side. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but you may be able to bypass that connection point on that board. I am not sure where that wire is going to once it goes under that board
    Thanks. You're right. I took it to a local motor repair shop and they told me it was the overload cut off and to bypass it by tying all three wires together. Trimmed it off at the solder joints and had barely enough wire for a wire nut and a zip tie to secure it. Worked like a charm! Motor shop charged me nothing for the advice and I'm back in business.

Thanks again.