Too much bleach added

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
Just found out my husband has not been following my instructions about how much bleach to add, and I missed a few days of testing, so now my free chlorine is off the charts high (15). My CYA is 45, CC =1 pH is 7.8

Do I just wait now, with no swimming until chlorine level comes down?

Thank you,

Renee

With a CYA of 45 (rounded-up to 50) you can safely swim with an FC up to 20. So you're still good. The FC will drop soon on its own. But I would be concerned about that elevated CC of 1. Perhaps consider doing an overnight (OCLT) test to make sure you don't have an algae issue trying to start.
Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

I saw that my target FC is 6, so I panicked!!! Our friend's son also had a rash after swimming in our pool yesterday so I thought that it might be from too much chlorine in the pool (my kids did not get a rash or notice anything unusual) Should I still not add any more bleach until it comes down though?

Thanks,

Renee

- - - Updated - - -

And according to the calculator, I should add acid because my pH is too high? It's 7.8

Let it come back down. Your chlorine could have been too high yesterday (if you didn't test it). My pool is in full sun and have high heat indexes. My target is 4. I always try to put my chlorine up to 8 overnight so when the sun eats some up we don't drop too low.

You can let it ride for today and just do an overnight test. With an FC of 15 now, it may fall to about 10 or so by this evening. Whatever you end-up with at bedtime, confirm it then test again in the morning before the sun hits the water and see what you get. Hopefully you don't lose anymore than 1 ppm of FC overnight. If you do, then you'll want to SLAM starting tomorrow until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.

A pH of 7.8 is the max you want to be. Yes, you can lower it a little to about 7.5 with muriatic acid. You can do that now if you like. Always remember in the future we never add bleach and muriatic acid at the same time.

I'm not sure what is meant by full readings? I'll repeat the test numbers, and add as much info as I know to my signature line.

FC 15
CC 1
TA 110
pH 7.8
CYA 50

Renee

33,000 Gal. Vinyl Inground Pool (will have to add pump info. later)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks....is it dangerous to handle the acid? CAn I buy it at a hardware store or a Home Depot? I'm a little nervous about this step and I want to do it myself as I know my husband won't be careful doing it (sorry hubby but it's the truth)

Thank you all so much for the support and advice

Renee

- - - Updated - - -

You need to take precautions - don't breath in fumes, stay up wind, don't get in your eyes, etc. but it is not dangerous. Don't store it with chlorine - it is the one chemical we store in the garage away from other chemicals. Don't drip it on cement. We have a measuring cup that we only use for MA and we rinse it in the pool after we use it. You want to pour it SLOW.

We get ours at our local hardware store. Many times it is with paints at places like Lowe's and such.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.