Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Discontinued SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Discontinued SWG

Hello group!

A spa I recently acquired came along with a SWG as an addon.

The SWG manufacturer no longer distributes or supports this product. All I was able to find on the internet was a brief document describing the proper use of the SWG.

The unit does seem to work fine. But I'm looking for guidance to make sure I make optimal use of it.

Here are a few details:
    • SPA volume: 450 gallons
    • SWG: Ocean Technologies, manufactured in 2013;
      The only controls on the unit allow to set 6 on times & duration of each cycle;
      The present setting is 6 on periods of 30 minutes each, spaced equally throughout the day;
      There is no automatic salt measurement, no 'low-medium-high' percentage setting, no flow measurement;
      I did measure the voltage sent to the cell as 24 Volts DC;
      I believe the voltage is constant, but have no way to say for sure;
      User guide here; (I will gladly remove the link if I've violated forum rules!)
    • The recommended salt concentration is 600 to 800 ppm and TA of 80 ppm;
    • Cell: Hayward T-Cell-5
      3 years old, cleaned a couple of weeks ago, and appears Ok visually;
    • I'm in the process of lowering TA to 50 ppm and raising CYA to 30 ppm;

My questions:
    • I've seen most units being sold currently recommend higher salt concentrations, eg 2000 to 3000 ppm;
      I've also read that running a cell with too low a salt concentration can shorten its useful life;
      Would it make any sense for me to run with a higher salt concentration?
      Say around 1000, 1500 or even 2000 ppm?
    • Would this not reduce the on time required for a given chlorine production quantity?
    • Can anyone say if running 24 volts thru these Hayward cells is typical?, low?, high?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by presse55; 08-11-2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Discontinued SWG

Almost all SWG will require between 3000 and 4000 PPM salt level.. by the manual you should be at 3500 for a T5 cell.. and on discount salt pool it also has 2800 to 4300 ppm salt level..
    Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Discontinued SWG

The amount of salt in the water does not change the output of the SWG. If the SWG is happy and making good chlorine then life is good. It will give a low salt warning when more salt is needed.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach