I need a pump timer

aaronp

Aug 28, 2008
My pool pump just has an on/off switch. I'd like to add a timer to automate it.
Pump is 220v.
So far the best deal I've seen so far is Home Depot for $68 +tax for an Intermatic T104r timer.

Anyone know of any better deals that would work?

I'll be doing the wiring, I'm comfortable with simple wiring jobs like this.

the 220v will run a little more expensive than the 110 switch...that seems like a reasonable price...if you go to you local post office and pick up a change of address form, they have 10% off lowes coupons, good for up to a $500 discount with no minimum purchase...works at home depot too as they accept competitor coupons...I just did this last week on my trex order at home depot and got $190 off.

nope...the coupon is in the change of address form envelope/package...just simply ask the clerk for one or usually they just sit out on the counter with the certified mail forms..it's in there along with a bunch of coupons for car/truck rental companies

yup...i split my purchase in two..as my home depot would only honor up to $200 discount as that is what their own coupons typically offer...even better if you use it at lowes...$500 off a $5000 purchase

FYI...I also learned that if you have a large order at home depot when you go to the special services desk...let's say $2000 worth of lumber...you can ask them to send the order to the "bid room" and ask them to bid on your order...you simply state that you will be placing your order with either HD, Lowes or your local lumber yard...depending on who can give you the best price. Depending on the merchandise and it's profit margin...you can do even better than 10% off. I just couldn;t wait the 24hrs it took them to go through the bid process.

Wow, and here I've just been ignorantly paying the price on the label. You are a horsetrader, dman (in Texas, that is a compliment).
As to the original poster's timer issue, we have an Intermatic timer with freeze protection: PF1103T Intermatic Freeze Protection Controller Timer with thermostat 120/240V that we got from www.pool-spa-products.com at the recommendation of this forum. It is built like a tank. We just upgraded to solar, and have a Goldline controller that is much more elaborate, but also more delicate. We will only use it during swim season, and then will coddle it all winter. Meanwhile, the Intermatic gets to rough it year round. It looks like it can take it.
I do not have much basis for comparison on price, but that seems pretty good. pool-spa-products lists the t104R3 for $88. It amazes me how much the price can vary for the exact same thing. And one time it may be cheaper on one site, and the next day cheaper somewhere else. Crazy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a followup...
There is a Home Depot in my town, but no Lowes. The nearest Lowes is about 10 miles away. I was on some other business near the Lowes and figured I'd see if they had the timer.
Taking the advice here, I stopped at the local post office and got a Lowes coupon first. If Lowes didn't have it, I was going to try the price match plan at HD.

Lowes had it, with the coupon, I think I paid a total of $62.

The wiring was a piece of cake. I removed a 220v switch (lightswitch style DPST) and replaced it with the Intermatic. It took about an hour (I wasn't rushing). It worked.

After a couple days verifing that it could keep time, and the pump came on and went off when it was supposed to, we went on a weeks vacation, the pool kept itself nice and clean while I was gone.

Now my pool really is Trouble Free!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.