Pool looks cloudy with light on.

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I finally got my pool light installed a few weeks ago and have used it a few times. My concern is how cloudy the water looks when the light is on. Is this normal? During the day the water is crystal clear. I pass the OCLT, typically use 2ppm chlorine per day, pH is 7.5, CH is 20, TA is 90, CYA is 60. Here are some picture but its very hard to get a good picture of it to show just how cloudy it looks. Pictures actually look better than in person.

Attachments

• 20160810_215414.jpg
    20160810_215414.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20160810_215519.jpg
    20160810_215519.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20160810_215542.jpg
    20160810_215542.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 99
I don't have a sand filter but I think what you have is normal. A few things I would try in no particular order 1.) deep clean the sand if it has not been done in a while take a look at THIS thread, 2.)add a small amount of DE to the filter 3.) run the filter a couple hours longer than you have been.

Mine looked just like that before I added a Kreepy Krauly to the mix. The light is like a magnifying glass for any particles that you have in the water - fine dirt and dust on the bottom can get stirred up by swimming or other water movement, and a healthy pool can still look like that with the light on.

Follow the suggestions above, and also consider vacuuming to waste a little more if it's still bothering you. :)

Mine used to look like that.

I had my sand changed out. I only wanted a deep clean but my pool company doesn't offer that. I keep upping my pump time until I hit that clearness at night I am looking for. This has worked really well. I actually quit running Fiber Clear in my filter. I found I don't need it anymore. My water is crystal clear at night.

Thanks for the info. I deep cleaned the filter at the start of the season. I have not used DE in a month so I will give that a shot. I currently run the filter for 13 hours. Makes me feel better knowing it's a common thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't have a DE filter, but mine looks like that almost all the time. If I clean the cartridge it gets less but never completely goes away. I've been told that it's normal due to the light reflection since I only see a cone about a foot in front of the light, but the rest of the pool looks clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.