Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool looks cloudy with light on.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool looks cloudy with light on.

I finally got my pool light installed a few weeks ago and have used it a few times. My concern is how cloudy the water looks when the light is on. Is this normal? During the day the water is crystal clear. I pass the OCLT, typically use 2ppm chlorine per day, pH is 7.5, CH is 20, TA is 90, CYA is 60. Here are some picture but its very hard to get a good picture of it to show just how cloudy it looks. Pictures actually look better than in person.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool looks cloudy with light on.

I don't have a sand filter but I think what you have is normal. A few things I would try in no particular order 1.) deep clean the sand if it has not been done in a while take a look at THIS thread, 2.)add a small amount of DE to the filter 3.) run the filter a couple hours longer than you have been.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 (actually plus all three) what atttech suggests.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Mine looked just like that before I added a Kreepy Krauly to the mix. The light is like a magnifying glass for any particles that you have in the water - fine dirt and dust on the bottom can get stirred up by swimming or other water movement, and a healthy pool can still look like that with the light on.

Follow the suggestions above, and also consider vacuuming to waste a little more if it's still bothering you.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine used to look like that.

I had my sand changed out. I only wanted a deep clean but my pool company doesn't offer that. I keep upping my pump time until I hit that clearness at night I am looking for. This has worked really well. I actually quit running Fiber Clear in my filter. I found I don't need it anymore. My water is crystal clear at night.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info. I deep cleaned the filter at the start of the season. I have not used DE in a month so I will give that a shot. I currently run the filter for 13 hours. Makes me feel better knowing it's a common thing.

18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have a DE filter, but mine looks like that almost all the time. If I clean the cartridge it gets less but never completely goes away. I've been told that it's normal due to the light reflection since I only see a cone about a foot in front of the light, but the rest of the pool looks clear.

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

8. Back To Top    #8

I wonder if a colored lense would help?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5438 View Post
    I wonder if a colored lense would help?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    My light changes color. You can see some haze on the lighter colors but not very much. I am running my pump about 12 hrs a day right now. It is really hot here and I have to keep that water moving.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.