Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Amount of bleach needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Amount of bleach needed

So I am at the point where I know how much I have to add before even measuring. Considering it's been hot here in upstate NY and I have a decent sized pool, is it normal to have to add a bottle of bleach a day? I feel like I am spending $3 a day on chemicals lol.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Amount of bleach needed

you are running 4ppm per day that is a little on the high side but not unheard of epically if the pool gets lots of sun. What is your CYA level? If it's in the 30-40 range you can try increasing it to 50-60 range and it may cut your bleach usage down a bit.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

How much are you swimming? That along with checking the CYA level may show why you are using so much bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

My CYA is 60 ppm. I get full sun all day and water is between 86-88 degrees. I also use a solar cover at night. I uncover that during the day so I can clean the pool from leaves and debris and swim if I want to. I like to keep my chlorine at 8 ppm but it sometimes drops to 5 ppm. I have no CC and my OCLT is always good. I assume the sun is just blasting the chlorine.