Leaving a Rheem propane heater on after pump shuts off

Aug 11, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
I accidently left my Rheem pool heater on after I went to bed last night. My pump is on a timer and shuts off at 11pm but I wasn't awake to turn the heater off. This is one of their basic heaters (not digital) but it has an automatic shut off if water stops going through it. Could this have damaged the heater at all? I turned it off this morning but I am nervous that may have caused a problem. Thanks!

While not the best thing to do, if the safeties are all functioning as designed the heater will shut off when the pressure switch opens from the pump shutting down. This is a design feature of heaters to keep them from firing when there is no water flow. Should be no problems.

You should have the heater wired into the timer so when the pump shuts off, the heater has no power going to it. However, keep in mind that the heater will fire back up when the timer turns the pump on.

As others have said, there are safety mechanisms that turn off the heater if the pump cuts off. That being said, mine did this a couple nights in a row and the water inside the exchanger would boil over and cause the drain plug to come loose and I found the pool pump had lost prime after air got in the system thru the loose drain plug.

So now, I like to cut off the heater and let the pump run until the heater and exchanger have time to cool off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.